My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Post by gdurkee »

Too bad there's no like button on these threads. My favorite story is a 16 year old boy with HAPE, collapsed on the trail. Group went by with Sat phone and called it in. Unfortunately it got bounced around a couple of agencies and no call back number. Still, we figured out about where it was and, literally, ran there (well, my supervisor was goading me along and I was 7 years younger...). Anyway, got to the kid and you could hear him wheezing from 15 feet away. Flew him out and all was well. Had the folks with the phone not been there, no question he would have died. Kearsarge trail only 7 miles from trailhead but that would still have been too long for him.