Missing Person Alert Yosemite 11/22 (Resolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Missing Person Alert Yosemite 11/22 (Resolved)

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
If you were in the area of Glacier Point on Wednesday, November 22 OR have any information about Gerardo, please call 209/379-1992.
Gerardo is a Hispanic male who is 18 years old, 5 ft 7 in tall, and weighs 120 pounds. He has a tattoo on his right wrist. He was last seen wearing white “Nike Air Force 1” sneakers. Gerardo was last seen in the morning on 11/22/2017 in Santa Barbara, and his vehicle was found in the evening on 11/22/2017 at Glacier Point.
Attachments
DPa_jrsUQAAad5l.jpg-small.jpeg
DPa_jrsUQAAad5l.jpg-small.jpeg (16.92 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 11/27

Post by maverick »

SAR is still searching between Taft and Glacier Point, and down towards Illilouette Falls bridge. He was alone, no evidence that he was planning an overnight trip. Any information you may have, please call: 209/379-1992.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Missing Person Alert Yosemite 11/22

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Yosemite National Park Rangers have positively identified the remains of Gerardo Cruz Hernandez, from Santa Barbara, California, who was last reported at Glacier Point on November 22, 2017. When he was reported missing, Park Rangers, with the aid of search dogs and a CHP helicopter, launched an extensive search looking for him. The search has been ongoing.

Hernandez’s family has been notified.

Yosemite National Park worked with several agencies during the search effort and would like to acknowledge and thank the California Highway Patrol, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office, YODOGS (volunteer search dog team), and National Park Service Special Agents for their assistance with this search.