2 Visitors Fall From Taft Point

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2 Visitors Fall From Taft Point

Post by mrphil »

Here's this editorial piece:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/8 ... reventable

Again I'll speculate, having searched for and seen many of the couple's photos, while quite a few were nothing that anyone would consider overtly risky poses in front of spectacularly magnificent views, there are also quite a few more that featured them trying to add their own form of dramatic poses to the already dramatic backdrop. Yes, risky...hamming it up for the viewers. With both of them going off, given what I saw in some of the photos, I don't think it would be outside the realm of possibilities that they might have very well been literally "dancing on the edge".
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

don't count on Press Demo leaving free access to their stories for long. Best to find a free site for news posting.
You might get the subscribe window pop up on Wednesday.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

More news coming out on this, and now I do agree they were taking undue risk for their blog. They obviously did not think that their activity had enough risk of death to stop their actions. Roll the dice enough times and you eventually come up with a bad outcome. I do not think the average person is very good at judging risk. Nobody thinks it is going to be them. We now live in a society that is addicted to fame at any cost. Does not help either that there are so many regulatory warning signs that most people simply ignore them. The warning signs in Yosemite are simply there so the park does not get sued. They do not do a bit of good at really warning people. Sad, but I think a cultural shift is needed, not more signs, warnings and restrictions. Something in our culture is certainly negatively affecting mental health. It is a complex problem.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

rlown wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 am don't count on Press Demo leaving free access to their stories for long. Best to find a free site for news posting.
You might get the subscribe window pop up on Wednesday.
Yeah, not a fan of the PD, but looked for another link to the editorial, didn't find one, opted for easy. You can read articles for free on an unlimited basis until the election, then back to limits. I go incognito, but what's funny is that you can read the articles for free, but not the comments. Doesn't speak too highly of their journalistic value when the comments are behind a paywall and usually more interesting than the news itself anyhow.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Just saw a report that they both had alcohol in their system.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/18/ ... toxicated/
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sensational headlines always annoy me. Mercury News headlines that they were intoxicated. Daily Mail UK that they were drunk. Several paragraphs into the article(s), the truth comes out that they have no way of knowing how much alcohol had been consumed. So, what is the lower level of detection for byproducts of alcoholic beverages? I think that's very important. If their consumption level was a glass of wine, then the headlines would be blatantly false and their family left with a false impression to hang over the memory of their loved ones. As if death by selfie wasn't bad enough.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.