PCT rescue again!

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

PCT rescue again!

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Another rescue on the PCT. These folks bumped north with the idea to go south without considering that north of Tahoe the snow is just as bad. Not knowing all details, but this rescue strikes me as a panic call. Perhaps needed; perhaps not. I am not sure why they could not just retreat in their tracks from the previous day. More like this rescue are likely given the conditions and inexperience of a lot of the PCT hikers.

https://www.trailjournals.com/journal/23431
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Re: PCT rescue again!

Post by rightstar76 »

The hiker has Parkinson's disease which makes it more difficult to hike. When they started going south the snow was more than they expected. They probably could have retraced their steps but one of them was in a panic and with the cold weather and snow it just wasn't going to happen. From what they wrote, it sounds like they are glad they left the trail. Not everyone is going to have a positive experience on the PCT. Especially during a challenging year like this one. Thankfully, their journey ended with both of them being safe and returning home.
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Glad to hear they're all-right. It's good to hear some additional information about the circumstances and a positive comment with a humble and empathetic tone. A bad situation turned out safely, and it's a great story for those involved and their families.

Big thanks to those who performed the rescue.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was aware that one had Parkinson's. They had already completed nearly 700 miles (the "desert" section to Kennedy Meadows) without difficulty and under some cold stormy conditions earlier this year. So I thought the Parkinson's was under control. That is why I said perhaps needed rescue, perhaps not. Weather up here has been stormy in afternoons, so that may have added to the problem. I also am glad they are OK. Yes, it was a wise decision to leave the trail for this year.