Missing person (Resolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing person

Post by Jimr »

Last year in the Sierra, there was a hiker who crossed paths with some dude either methed out or frying. He was overpacked and carrying a machete. The woman's creep meter was in orange, so she beat feet it out the next day.

Maybe it's time to start carrying in the back country?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rileySB
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by rileySB »

Reposted from the Find Sheryl and Miley facebook page, straight from the account of her son Greg. So happy and relieved that Mrs Powell and her dog Miley were found alive and safe. What a scary situation. I hope they find this guy soon. Scary he is still out there after 4 days of thinking the poor lady got lost with her dog. Will definitely be carrying the next time I go off the grid solo.
Just a little backstory. Some graphic details to follow...

My mom was waiting for my dad to back up the Jeep and was peeing behind a tree when a middle aged man with a knife came up and said ”that’s a nice shaved p**** I’ve never had me one of those...you’re gonna do what I want or I’m gonna take my knife to your dog.” He then grabbed her left wrist and caused some abrasions. My mom managed to get away.

She ran away downhill and knew that my dad was beeping and yelling but had to get away from this man chasing her and trying to rape her.

Therefore, she stayed off the main paths and was traveling by night. When she figured she had lost him she also realized she was quite lost. Thankfully she is strong and resilient and knew how to find water (despite no map, phone, or overt knowledge of the area). She had some stagnant water and cactus fruit to keep her going but still got dehydrated and when she could no longer walk she scooted as far as she could. She tried to leave Miley leashed near the stagnant water but she refused to be left alone and broke out of her leash and stayed near my mom.

My mom saw the helicopters and tried to wave them down but they didn’t notice her because she was so far outside of the search area. She told us she has started to give up hope today.

It was Miley’s barking that alerted the search and rescue personnel to her presence. They found her some 200 yards away.

My mom is an amazing human being and she looks pretty good given the situation. Her first words were to us were “I’m so sorry I put you through that you guys must have been so worried,” just proving how selfless she is.

We are overjoyed to be reunited with her!

Thank you so much first and foremost to the search and rescue personnel involved from inyo county and many others, to Srgt Derr for leading up the search and rescue, to the various news platforms involved in getting the word out, and to everyone who reached out, donated, reposted, helped contact government personnel, and just checked in to see how we were doing. There are countless other people to name and I won’t even begin to try. We couldn’t have gotten through this without you and you all mean the world to us.

We will be refunding all donated money as soon as we are able, please don’t worry!

Sincerely,
The Powell family
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'd like to make a request. I posted regarding my thoughts on the subject of personal safety. If anyone wants to post further their thoughts on carrying in the back country, please start a new thread. I don't want this incident to be sullied by a different discussion. rileySB, this is not pointed at you. I just don't want this thread to transition into a different discussion.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Generally over decades there have been few crimes committed along remote roads, campgrounds, and trailheads. We outdoor enthusiasts usually enjoy setting up our camps at such places without the usual concern one must wisely consider over most of the state, especially the closer to urban areas. Thus most outdoor peers and rural folk are generally relatively good people one can trust.

But as related in post above, am wondering if someone has let the below psycho out. Expect his sentence elapsed. He is obviously one nut that seemed to seek out our remote road ends to act out his twisted plans. (his image a decade old) would like to know if any other groups were camped at Grandview Friday and if so they would be able to provide some important information about anyone they saw there.

https://www.sierrawave.net/christiana-s ... es-remain/

schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Speaking of crimes at remote roads and campgrounds, there was an incident at Deadman's campground near Kennedy Meadows North. A 36 year old guy ended up busting into a couple's tent at 2AM and was on top of a woman who then woke up her boyfriend who ended up shooting the guy.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/watsonvill ... t/28387062

Strange week in the Sierra.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Missing person (Resolved)

Post by TahoeJeff »

I've been reading about this incident on another board. The general opinion is that this was bogus or 'faked'...
Anyone here have doubts about her story?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rileySB
Topix Novice

Post by rileySB »

SSSdave wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 am Generally over decades there have been few crimes committed along remote roads, campgrounds, and trailheads. We outdoor enthusiasts usually enjoy setting up our camps at such places without the usual concern one must wisely consider over most of the state, especially the closer to urban areas. Thus most outdoor peers and rural folk are generally relatively good people one can trust.

But as related in post above, am wondering if someone has let the below psycho out. Expect his sentence elapsed. He is obviously one nut that seemed to seek out our remote road ends to act out his twisted plans. (his image a decade old) would like to know if any other groups were camped at Grandview Friday and if so they would be able to provide some important information about anyone they saw there.

https://www.sierrawave.net/christiana-s ... es-remain/

I think he did get out. If you google his name a more refined looking version of this man is out there railing against being surveilled by the govt and lots of lawsuits pertaining to that. According to court documents he was to be hospitalized for minimum of 3 years in a state mental hospital and get involuntarily medicated. Pretty scary he's out there.

Sorry to derail this thread. Now that she has been found alive, maybe time to lock it?