Yosemite Vogelsang incident?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Vogelsang incident?

Post by maiathebee »

I was hiking up towards Johnson Peak yesterday (8/8/19) and saw a helicopter make at least 3 runs back and forth to Vogelsang. Was hard to see from my distance but it looked like at least on the first run it had a stretcher. Does anybody know what happened? Is everyone ok? It seemed like a lot of runs for SAR, so maybe it was something else?
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Yosemite Vogelsang incident?

Post by maverick »

Does anybody know what happened?
Checking, nothing officially put out yet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Could be the fire that Yosemite is helping with, and there was also SAR incident at Dana Plateau, which helicopters from CHP/LeMoore conducted, but has not been report official, yet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by phoenix2000 »

On 8/9/19 I was hiking out a long the Moraine Ridge when I heard a helicopter by Vernon Lake below me. I heard it for quite a while like it was hovering or had landed down there. When it eventually took off I only spotted it when it was pretty far off. I don't know what type it was but it looked to be all black.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Note that Yosemite resupplies trail crews with helicopters.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

oldranger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 am Note that Yosemite resupplies trail crews with helicopters.
Ah, that was probably it then!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love