Yosemite Winter News

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Winter News

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Badger Pass Ski Area concessions, including downhill and Nordic rentals, will not be available during the 2020–2021 winter season. All facilities and services at Badger Pass will be closed; portable toilets will be available.

As conditions allow, Badger Pass Road will be open from approximately mid-December through March. Visitors with their own skis or snowshoes can drive to Badger Pass and go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. Glacier Point Road will be groomed from Badger Pass to Bridalveil Creek Campground, but not all the way to Glacier Point.

Those planning overnight ski or snowshoe trips must get a self-registration wilderness permit on the porch of the Badger Pass Ranger Station. (Permits obtained at Badger Pass are only valid for Glacier Point Road trailheads.) Ski huts at Glacier Point, Ostrander, and Tuolumne Meadows will be closed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

2020 Ski Hut Closures

Post by Harlen »

Just got the word from a YNP authority that all the ski huts will be closed this winter. This includes Glacier Point, Ostrander, Snow Creek, and (damn!!!) the cherished Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut.

This news came from a call on 11/20/2020. I wonder if there is any hope of this changing in spring should the Covid-19 disease situation change?
Looks like we'll be winter-camping for real this year; no pansy-ass mattresses, solid roof and walls, woodstove heating, electricity, and all that. I reckon sleeping on the snow will harden us... hopefully not to the brittle breaking point. :(

100_1621.jpg
No so bad, wet inside walls.

100_1585.jpg
100_1494.jpg
This is one hut that will still be open... I assume?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2020 Ski Hut Closures

Post by bobby49 »

I've skied to Tuolumne Meadows a few times, but I have never slept inside the T.M. Ski Hut. Due to crowding, I always ended up in the wet tent out in back. Parsons Lodge is another one that we don't hear much about. Stayed two nights there on one trip.