Sweet Ski Tour Kings Canyon

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sweet Ski Tour Kings Canyon

Post by maverick »

Found this cool ski tour on-line which was done in back in May 2011.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... tion-Loop-(inc.-Goddard-and-N.-Couloir-on-Lamarck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Re: Sweet Ski Tour Kings Canyon

Post by fishmonger »

sweet. Can't wait for the white stuff again (with 98F and high humidity here today, these photos were a nice cooldown)
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

fishmonger wrote:sweet. Can't wait for the white stuff again (with 98F and high humidity here today, these photos were a nice cooldown)
10-4 that...those pics made me so jealousss...awesome stuff...gotta buy me some mtn skiing gear and and hook up with some xperienced folks...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mkelleyfresno
Topix Newbie

Post by mkelleyfresno »

Waiting for the snow to fly.
New Rondone' skis
New Randonee' bindings
Skins
Tent
Well, the list goes on.... Just add snow!
I will definitly be doing some touring this year on the West side. Always looking for ski touring partners..... Drop me a line if you care to join in.
My email is
mkelleyfresno@yahoo.com
Have Fun! :D
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

One of the things I like about the Sierra is that typically it has lots of water in the lakes, rivers, and streams, and really nice weather in the summer without too much snow on the ground. Statistically, I believe, we have the best climate of any mountains in the world, last year not withstanding. Aren't we fortunate (not last year). From 1971 thru 1995 I can't recall a bad year ,like last year or 1996 (I believe). Those years just had too much snow to suite me. There were some high snow years but none too much for me. How about 2003 - not too much snow but it rained all summer. Nevertheless we have the Sierra with it's really great climate.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Wow, and they say the internet is vast. So here I sit caring for my elderly Mom, surfing while Mom watches the Halmark Channel and I come upon this linked post. On day two of their trip they saw a couple of guys skiing Mt Solomons- that was my partner and I on the second to last day of our White Divide/Enchanted Gorge tour! What a trip!!
1105_ 1544_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks again Maverick,

100_3390.jpg

I must have looked over this great ski trip you have linked for us 10 times by now. It is what inspired my ski trip from South Lake to North Lake, via Evo. Valley; and later, it got me and Bearzy (seen above) on our way toward Echo Lake and Col. So what if we didn't make it-- now, I am so impressed again by the images of the mountain scenery above Sabrina Lake, that I really want to try once more to get in there this Spring! I just love the look of the mountains seen in the following three images from the TR you linked:

1. UCL ["Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer"] with Mount Haeckel in the far distance. Photo: Enginerd
2. "The final push towards Echo Lake."
and 3: "Our camp at the end of Day 1 at Echo Lake Echo Col moves up beyond the lake and up around the corner around Clyde Spires."

* You must click on the link in the Original Post Maverick sent. It is a truly great trip they pulled off, includes a ski descent from the summit of Mt. Goddard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

There are soo many tours to be had in the range of light! So many long tours, soo many mini tours. Only limit is your imagination and skill level. Thanks for posting guys! I love looking at snow photos on storm day to set the mood.