Where to Snow shoe in Lake Tahoe

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Where to Snow shoe in Lake Tahoe

Post by Beantown »

I'm heading up to south lake for Xmas to New Years and I hope it's going to snow more. Last year I rented snow shoes and followed a groomed path to fallen leaf lake. I bought some mrs ascent snow shoes and I am hoping to get out and use them. I plan to get a map and can anyone recommend some day snow shoe trips? Thanks
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where to Snow shoe in Lake Tahoe

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Lots of good places to snowshoe in Hope Valley, which is about 15-20 minutes south of Lake Tahoe on 89. Good scenery as well.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Kirkwood Ski Resort has 50 miles of marked snowshoeing trails, they have routes to
for beginners as well as seasoned pros. Trails here are shared by cross country skiers,
so use caution.
Camp Richardson offers some marked snowshoeing trails. The trails are
well marked and moderate difficulty so this is a great option for families with kids.
Royal Gorge has a lot of variety. The resort boasts has over 90 groomed trails covering
200 miles.
If you want leave the crowds behind and get some solitude head out into the
wilderness, Mt. Tallac, Angora Lakes Trail, and Stanford Rock are a
few great destinations.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

Thanks maverick. I did the camp richardson lat year. Royal gorge looks good and the angora lake I'm looking for a little more of a backcountry experience. I'll probably stop in and chat with the rangers.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Not really much snow requiring snow shoes. All trails will probably be tracked down pretty well. Maybe YaxTrax or something like that for the icy spots.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Reinforcing TahoeJeff's note earlier today:

Five days ago (Tues afternoon 12/17) I hiked three miles from the Boreal Snow Park area (7,000') on I-80 up to Castle Peak (9103') in boots alone with no problem. The path was about 80% compacted snow and 20% dirt. For perhaps 50 yards near the summit did I have to struggle in deep soft snow. To my knowledge there has been no new snow up there since.

Jim