Hiking in March

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
coff20
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hiking in March

Post by coff20 »

Hi there, this is my first post. I am a somewhat new backpacker. I've done a handful of trips over the last two years, but all in the later summer months. My spring break is in March and I am hoping to get out somewhere. Is there anywhere in the southern Sierras that is accessible in late march or is everything snowed in at that time? Thanks.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking in March

Post by rlown »

Hi coff20, welcome to the HST!

You'll be asked of this anyway, so take a read and then respond: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205

You'll have to watch the weather. It looks dry now, but we all hope that changes. When you say Southern Sierra, what are your proposed target areas?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Probably Domeland Wilderness for around then. This year maybe some Golden Trout stuff also.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

And if the southern Sierra is not available, there are lots of other opportunities like the Ventana....
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm in Henry Coe or the Ventana or Point Reyes in winter. This weekend I will be in the Bay Area hiking the Ohlone Wilderness over three days before it dries up... I hear the flowers are going already. I was in Sespe Wilderness last weekend - the weather was perfect and the hot springs were too. Winter is perfect to go there; any later and that area is horrible - in summer the creeks dry up and it's in the 100s during the day, and there's very little shade.

Unless, of course, you want a winter trip, and are prepared for winter conditions. Ice and very cold nights are going to be there even if the snow is just a few inches deep and patchy. We can have snow storms any time this time of year - we've seen them as late as April/May in the past couple years, even in the middle of the drought.
coff20
Topix Novice

Post by coff20 »

rlown, thanks for the heads up. I guess to expand on my initial post, I am looking for either an overnight trip or a two night trip. As far as mileage goes I probably wouldn't be looking to do more than 12 miles in one day for this trip. Among the handful of trips I've taken, I've done trips over Pine Creek Pass and Sawmill Pass, so I'm good with doing somewhat strenuous hikes Cold temperatures aren't an issue for me, but I don't really want to be extensively hiking through snowy terrain. I am comfortable x-country hiking. I don't right now have any target areas so to speak. I was just hoping to see if there might be anything available around there at that time of year.

AlmostThere, The bay area is a little too far of a trip for me, but I have been meaning to make a trip to Sespe, so that was going to be my fall back option.

Thanks for the replies guys!
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

We regularly get inquiries during the winter about Sierra backpacking and the general response is NO. Would help if you provide more information. From your response you must live in Southern California? If so you ought to learn about the DESERT. There are endless short backpacking destinations there during the winter if one thinks out of the box. Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego, are vast places and some places even have running water.
coff20
Topix Novice

Post by coff20 »

Hey SSSdave, sorry about not providing more information. I guess it was more of just an in general question as to whether or not it was even a possibility. If the general response is no than I guess that answers my question. Yeah, I do live in southern California. I actually know a decent amount about the desert and it happens to be one of my favorite places. I grew up hunting quail/chukar and camping in the desert every fall and winter. However, unfortunately my backpacking partner doesn't have the same view of the desert as me so I was looking for an alternative. He likes places where we can be by river/streams and lakes. If I had to be more specific about where in the southern sierras I guess maybe like somewhere on the Kern or Kaweah river. I really don't know very much about either of those drainages.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wait until a week before you go... watch the weather sites... pick a place then. It's a weird weather situation again.

My friends and I would always (in the 90's) plan a Memorial day trip, but we were super flexible in what that meant.

As you pointed out you don't know much about the Kern. I'd read up on that.

Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

There are plenty of places to go as long as you know your personal limits as far snow and cold go. I don't like super cold nights and days and that is what normally keeps me at home. With temperatures staying as high as they are and no threat of a storm some friends and I are headed out this weekend. We are hiking the Jordan Trail north from the Sherman Pass road to Jordan camp. I have a friend that lives in the SFV and he has been going almost every other week to a few different hike to campgrounds on the south side of the Angeles Crest and Sab Gabriel mountains. There are several options in the Dome Land Wilderness and the Kennedy Meadows area. By March a think that the Manter Meadow trail should be accessible. Most everything that I've mentioned are pretty short and easy to do hikes but that is what I want in the off season. Something that is easy to bail on if the weather does happen to change for the worse.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray