Panther Gap, Sequoia in December

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Panther Gap, Sequoia in December

Post by hjldennis »

DMQ wrote:Not the best views if you're looking for grand vistas, but the Ladybug trail up the South Fork Kaweah in SNP is a nice winter camping option with no snow, and camping spaced out if you feel like hiking more or less distance.
Thank you for your suggestion, but we want to be on snow, just trying to avoid steep climb over fresh snow on snowshoes.

Thank you for moving this thread to the right place. Actually now I see that the thread before this talks about similar topic. If campfire option is out, we might try little lakes valley. I am guessing it would be colder up there though.. but then, it add another twist into things - ams. My daughter was vomitting on the first day there during the summer...
wandering outdoors and the universe
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

Just got back from an overnight(Sat. Dec.12) snowshoe trip out of Lodgepole up towards Mt Silliman. There was enough snow on the ground that everything was covered, but deepest was 12 to 18 inches I would say. Only thing is it was snowing quite hard when we got back to the car, so depths may have changed a bit. Young kids up to Panther Gap might be pushing it under current conditions. YMMV.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Hillbasher wrote:Just got back from an overnight(Sat. Dec.12) snowshoe trip out of Lodgepole up towards Mt Silliman. There was enough snow on the ground that everything was covered, but deepest was 12 to 18 inches I would say. Only thing is it was snowing quite hard when we got back to the car, so depths may have changed a bit. Young kids up to Panther Gap might be pushing it under current conditions. YMMV.
Thanks for the update. The forecast is more snow next week, and it might snow next weekend. We'll see...

Forget the kids, it might be too tough for me and my wife lol
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

Went up the Panther Gap trail and then over the Hump out towards Emerald Lake on Wednesday. Most of the trail was packed and making fresh tracks wasn't too difficult. Depth ranged from 2-3 feet but there should be another foot after tomorrow, I hope!
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

limpingcrab wrote:Went up the Panther Gap trail and then over the Hump out towards Emerald Lake on Wednesday. Most of the trail was packed and making fresh tracks wasn't too difficult. Depth ranged from 2-3 feet but there should be another foot after tomorrow, I hope!
Thank you for the update. I guess we won't know where we're gonna go until we make that turn toward sequoia or straight on to yosemite. Regatdless it will be fun but cold!
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Ended up not going to Panther Gap, but went to Dewey Point in Yosemite. We were planning on pushing it to Panther Gap, but at the last minute, I didn't make that turn off toward Seki, but stay on 99 toward Yosemite. I am glad that we did, since my girl had plenty workout even going to Dewey Point. I think we would've made up Panther ok, but we would've had less fun. The weather was perfect on the second and third day, and the first day wasn't bad either with some snow and wind.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!