Carson Pass region winter photography

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Carson Pass region winter photography

Post by SSSdave »

A few recent winter images. I have a season pass at Kirkwood and will get a snow park season permit probably next weekend that allows use at Carson Pass and Hope Valley among several other Sierra highways locations. The Carson Pass area is an excellent area for winter photography. Sierra winter landscapes with fresh snow have much more aesthetic potential than melting spring snow landscapes that early season backpackers experience and with low altitude sun, light stays good each day longer. In the past at the pass have walked about slopes in snowshoes carrying my Wisner 4x5 though now my A6000 on the Nodal Ninja 3 MK II pano head is preferred. At the end of ski days near sunset I will sometimes slip into my Sorrels and snowshoes then walk out to various spots. Right at the pass are 2 snow park areas one needs at least a day permit to stop at.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1233

There are also a few additional small free to park pull-outs Caltrans usually opens up for snowmobilers and at Caples Lake for ice fishermen however after fresh snow that can be delayed a day. There are some quite magnificent Sierra juniper trees in the pass area that are best sized up during the summer however simply walking uphill a bit to the ridge will work. Another good spot is on the north side of SR88 across from the Caples Lake resort. The domes there have lots of fine junipers. There are also some nice areas of aspen on each side of the pass that can make nice trunk and snow intimate shots.

These two below are from the Carson Spur pullout at the end of the no stopping avalanche zone. At sunset are fine telephoto lens views north northeast towards Little Round top. The below images were taken last Saturday December 26 with temperature 15F degrees and a strong 20 to 30 mph wind blowing. Thus are not razor sharp due to camera shaking but provide an indication of that landscape. The top of LRT has wind shaped and stunted whitebark pines that after fresh snows become snow encrusted works of art. The best Earth shadow color is when the atmosphere is crystal clean due to cold dry air on the backside of exiting winter storms. But to get best imagery winds need to have waned. Thus I hope to work this same view again when conditions work.

The below are a couple images from my ski day Saturday December 19 during a storm that added a modest 3 or 4 inches during the day. Top view looking over my Forester towards the ridge with ski runs.

balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Carson Pass region winter photography

Post by balance »

Greetings SSSdave

I looked around your website. The natural beauty that's revealed in your photographs is amazing. Those images bring out details we can easily miss with our own eyes. Call it grace, symmetry, glimpse of the divine, being close to the source. Words are not enough. Must be why they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Thank you.

Peace