First winter trip

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

First winter trip

Post by cloudlesssky »

My brother and friends have been going on a short snow hike each year and each year my brother has asked if I'd like to go. This year I said yes.

We left from the Twin Lakes TH parking area where the Lake Mary road closes in the winter. It was a beautiful day and there were lots of people out walking, skiing and snowshoeing. There was plenty of snow and we followed the road past Lake Mary to the Duck Pass trail head.
20160319_114710.jpg
20160319_130026.jpg
I'd only been in snowshoes once before but it was pretty easy. We follow a set of ski tracks up the Duck Pass trail towards the lakes.
20160319_130036.jpg
We'd planned on camping at Skelton Lake, but we'd gotten a late start and the real attaction was just camping in the snow, so we stopped at Arrowhead Lake for the night.
20160319_143402.jpg
My brother showed me some of the benefits of snow camping.
20160319_162638.jpg
We messed around enjoying the nice weather and afternoon sun, then we settled down for a cold but moonlit night. In the morning we slept in then packed up and tromped back down to the car. It was a great first trial at snow camping. I'm looking forward to next year's winter trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First winter trip

Post by rlown »

nice report!

Wish we had a tad more snow this year, but we'll take what we can get.