TR: Bishop Pass ~ March 2016

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Bishop Pass ~ March 2016

Post by Bluewater »

Picture Puzzle Peak from the outlet of Long Lake.

After reading a recent article about weekend warriors called The Ultimate 64 Hour Weekend (http://www.backpacker.com/tag/the-ultim ... r-weekend/) I decided to create my own quick weekend adventure. To make the most of the weekend I left home right after work on Friday, drove all night to Bishop then slept under the stars in the Buttermilk area.

The next morning I sped up South Lake Road until the snow was too deep to drive and parked by the Tyee Lakes trailhead. Following a 3 mile road-walk to the Bishop Pass trailhead I snowshoed over uneven ground on a partially covered trail up to about 10,100'.

From there it was all cross country with the trail usually buried under a few feet of snow. For the rest of the weekend I had the entire wilderness to myself with no sign of tracks from cross country skiers or other snowshoers.

Cowboy camping in the Buttermilk area.

The Bishop Pass trailhead.

Cross country travel through mostly wooded terrain below 10,000 feet.

Although I have been over Bishop Pass in the summer a few times this was the first time I had seen it in the snow. The snow creates an entirely new environment and with no visible trails the winter route follows the path of least resistance, usually directly up snow covered creeks and waterfalls.

Cross country route finding.

After a few hours of breaking trail through pristine snow I was relieved to make it Long Lake for sunset.

Sunset on Chocolate Peak and Mt. Agassiz from frozen Long Lake.

The outlet of Long Lake was starting to melt creating a pleasant place to resupply on water each day.

The outlet of Long Lake.

Soon the forecasted 20 mph winds arrived and it started to get cold. I found a spot above the potential cold sink down by the lake and settled in for the night. Night temperatures were relatively mild for high altitude winter camping with the lowest in the mid 20's.

View from camp above Long Lake.

Cowboy camp above Long Lake.

I created a simple winter stove setup that is used mainly to melt snow for water and to make a few hot meals. This year I have been using a Trail Designs Fissure Ti-Tri titanium windscreen/pot holder with an Evernew 750 ml titanium mug/pot, Ruta Locura carbon fiber lid and a remote canister stove made up of parts from two different Fire Maple stoves. The stove is made so it is possible to invert the canister for use in very cold temperatures. Total weight for the winter kitchen setup is about 6 ozs and everything fits neatly inside the mug.

Winter kitchen.

The next morning I headed toward Bishop Pass and planned on exploring Dusy Basin. The forecast was for 20 mph winds on the east side and 40 mph winds on the opposite/west side, but it was calm and clear.

Morning over Long Lake.

The view back toward frozen Long Lake.

Picture Puzzle Peak and Bishop Pass from frozen Bishop Lake.

Snow survey signs on the way to Bishop Pass.

Finally getting close to the pass.

As I reached Bishop Lake at 11,250 feet the winds picked up and I could see giant sheets of snow blowing along the sides of the surrounding 13'ers. From the approach to the winter route at 11,400 feet I struggled to stay upright in the 40 mph wind gusts. When I heard the winds howling over the ridges I got ready for the impending blasts of blowing snow.

I decided to turn back and save the pass for another day. I slowed down and explored some of the other lakes in the basin. Once I got farther back I could see the large windblown cornices hanging over the winter route to Bishop Pass. I wouldn't want to be under one of them when they let go!

Winter Route to Bishop Pass.

Distant view with large cornices visible above the winter route to Bishop Pass.

Ledge Lake and Hurd Peak.

Picture Puzzle, Aperture Peak and Mt. Agassiz from Saddlerock Lake.

The easy downhill route back to civilization.

By the time I approached treeline a storm started blowing in and the first few snowflakes fell as I reached the car. It was a fun weekend with just enough adventure to keep things interesting. . .

Thanks for reading.

More photos and TR: http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2016.html

Winter Sierra Gear List: http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2016.html
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Bishop Pass ~ March 2016

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful pictures but it sure looks cold. What were the small tracks from that can be seen in several pictures, coyotes?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

gary c. wrote:Beautiful pictures but it sure looks cold. What were the small tracks from that can be seen in several pictures, coyotes?
Thanks Gary. I'm not sure what kind of animal was making the tracks, possibly a squirrel (that was the only animal I saw while out there). BTW, I though it was interesting how the tracks looked like they wrapped around the curved snow banks. They must have originally been made on flat snow which became curved with the melting creeks.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Andy, were you wearing shorts? :p

That's a pretty nifty winter stove set-up. It seems like you're getting some really good winter experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see a future TR some day where you're xc skiing the back country, a la Orland.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Hobbes! It would be a lot of fun to get out there for an extended trip in the winter like Bartholomew.

I was wearing shorts almost the entire time, my ancestors must have been polar bears :bear:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very nice TR and pic's. :thumbsup:
Was looking forward to getting a peek into Dusy Basin, maybe next time. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a blast, but bummer about the weather preventing you from reaching the pass. Years ago I did a similar trip around the same time of year (your post brought back some fond memories - thanks for that) - base camped at Saddlerock and made it up to Thunderbolt Col the next day (oh the views) followed by a nice and gentle ski descent down into Dusy.