Chewing Gum Lake last weekend

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Chewing Gum Lake last weekend

Post by tomba »

Last weekend I skied from Gooseberry Trailhead near Pinecrest to Chewing Gum Lake in Emigrant Wilderness. There were no tracks after Burst Rock. I roughly followed the invisible trail and then cut east from the saddle after Powell Lake. I came back different way (click for a map). I never had to use skins on the soft snow. On the way back I side-stepped a short distance, but it probably could have been avoided with more route finding. I saw coyote tracks and then the coyote. Days were warm and the night wasn't too cold. 20 degree sleeping bag with extra clothes (and with two stacked pads: XLite and Z Lite) was comfortable. There was barely enough snow near the trailhead but higher up there was plenty. Nice terrain in the Wilderness.

I guess one could take a ski lift to The Knob to save a few hours. Also coming back on downhill ski runs would be faster. Might have to watch out for grooming equipment if it's late.

My ski boots hurt me.

Powell Lake. Click to enlarge.
DSC08692-powell-lk-small.jpeg
Chewing Gum Lake.
DSC08700-chewing-gum-lk-small.jpeg
Camp.
DSC08717-camp-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Chewing Gum Lake last weekend

Post by rlown »

:thumbsup: nice to see someone enjoying the white while we have it!
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Really like the pic of Powell Lake. Thanks for sharing.
@aguabonita
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

very nice...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Nice. Might be out that way myself in a few weeks.
But too late now for grabbing a ski lift to the top, and no worries on the grooming equipment - Dodge is closed. Sounds like you were able to ski from the trailhead, but just barely?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Tomba for the TR and pictures. :thumbsup:
What were your night and day time temps?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

paul: There was one section where I took off skis and walked on the roadway for maybe 20 meters, a couple of sections where I made small detours through the forest in order to stay on snow, and a couple of sections where I moved carefully on narrow strips of snow. Don't take the Rock & Roll trail 14. I took it on the way down when I missed the turn and didn't want to turn back. "Why not see a different route?" The trail became bare and I went through the forest back to Gooseberry trail 6, through a maze of snow among large snowless swaths. Call the Summit District in Pinecrest for conditions.

I wonder where would be a good place to go from the Bay Area next weekend, at high enough elevation for snow, other that Carson Pass.

View from trailhead:
DSC08670-trailhead-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tomba on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

maverick: I don't know the temperature. I didn't carry a thermometer. Should I?

Middle of the day many would be comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts.

At night it got below freezing. In the morning water in my bottle was liquid, but it was super-cooled. When I disturbed it, ice has formed inside. Snow froze. I had to spend a few minutes to dig out snow anchors. There was no wind at night.