TR: Rock Creek to Mammoth High Country Ski Tour

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ryanahuetter
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Rock Creek to Mammoth High Country Ski Tour

Post by ryanahuetter »

OK, OK, I hate to be that guy again, but lots of work moving those pics around. Hope this gives you guys an idea of backcountry conditions- the snow is going, but it is not going fast. Gonna be interesting for all those PCT/JMT hikers with early permits...
http://www.ryanhuetter.com/2016/05/stil ... ierra.html
Berg Heil!

Ryan
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Rock Creek to Mammoth High Country Ski Tour

Post by DAVELA »

Jealous...how much does a guided tour like this cost?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Ryan, when did you do your ski trip? According to the PCT 2016 class FB page, some made it from Kearsarge to VVR in the last few days. Others turned around or stayed put in LP/Bishop during this latest bout of weather. With a good forecast lining up, it might make for a crowded Memorial weekend. BlueWater and I are heading south from Larmarck to Kearsarge on 5/31.

PS Still fantasizing about a 3 day Willy->Russell traverse. You can't go beyond 1:2, right? Every time I think I feel strong enough however, I seem to confront reality. This spring PCT trip will be a good test.

PPS Did you hear that Schmalz is hiking the PCT to Canada starting @ Cottonwood pass on 6/5? I'm hoping he sticks with the trail name "Real Deal" I coined last year. :D
ryanahuetter
Topix Novice

Post by ryanahuetter »

This trip was from May 5-8. So a tad dated perhaps, but still quite surprised at the snowline. Last week we had crampons on from Upper Boyscout all the way to Whitney's summit, and the skiing around Tioga is good! Good luck to Schmalz, is he gonna try to sneak his dog through?!

Davela- these guys wanted a custom trip, so it was just shy of 1000 for the 4 day trip. Trips with scheduled departure dates are less.