ski,snowshoe around LA.

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: ski,snowshoe around LA.

Post by robow8 »

Overhead's post got me thinking. By the Green Valley Lake campground is a road that takes you to Butler Peak and Fawnskin. I did it on a mountain bike many summers ago.

Looks like it is called Snow Slide Road! :eek:
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks overhead!Nice pics...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

Nice pics overheadx2! So nice to see so much snow in our local mountains.

I might have to make a trip up there soon. Did you just park off the side of the road?
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Yes, Onyx summit and Van Dusen road were easy with parking along the road or at the road end. Fawn skin is tougher which is why we didn't go there. It is a dirt road that is plowed, but usually muddy and snowy. With this much snow, it can be tricky getting parked off the road. A 4x4 is very helpfull most of the time. Right now hiking the 4x4 dirt roads out of Jenks lake look like a lot of fun relatively close. Lots of parking at the closed road going up to poop out peak. Should be great views at the top. Headed back up this weekend, but doing more skiing training at the Rim Nordic area. We'll probably go hike a peak some where though.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Drove the 2 from santa monica...stopped about 4 miles w of mt waterman cuz of rd closure.Had a grt day of snowshoeing.Snow was powder in shade and higher elevations...Kinda skied/slid down on my way back...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

How is wrightwood for snowshoeing...i wouldnt mind doing san berdoo stuff but its 2,5 hrs from me....a lot of driving for a day trip.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Went up to Big Bear yesterday for the weekend. It' is not the place to be this weekend. We had to put on snow shoes to get to the cabin. All back streets are one lane with thousands of folks in town. Attempted onyx peak, but due to no parking, headed to Van Dusen and the PCT. Agaian, no where to park due to 4 foot berms. Finally headed to rim nordic for some on trail skiing. Good but crowded. Will try onyx peak again tomorrow with hopes the plows have widened the parking area.