Peter Grubb Hut Overnighter

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Peter Grubb Hut Overnighter

Post by Vaca Russ »

Last Sunday I drove up to the Boreal area Sno Park and snow shoed into the back country with this crew. Some of you may remember a report I posted in June of 2015 about a trip I did with John the Ax Man.
1 Crew.JPG
This winter there has been plenty of snow.
2 Trail.jpg
3 Heavy Snow.jpg
4 Heavy Snow on Trees.jpg
The trail in is very well compacted and one did not really even need skis or snow shoes.
5 Good Trail Shot.jpg
Castle Peak is looking well covered in a depth of snow.
6 Castle Peak.jpg
Trekking up the pass was simple because of the great trail.
7 Pass.jpg
This is a shot from the top of the pass looking back at Andesite Peak.
8 Andesite Ridge.jpg
The trail remained good even through the trees on the way down to Round Valley.
9 Good Trail.jpg
Old Man Mountain is looking good covered in snow
10 Old Man Mt.jpg
To be continued…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Peter Grubb Hut Overnighter

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ, cool pictures. Here is the link to the previous TR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12802&p=96002&hilit ... Man#p96002 Is she texting in that first photo.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Eventually we made it down to Round Valley.
11 Round Valley.jpg
Peter Grubb Hut is almost buried in snow.
12 Basin Peak Hut.jpg
This is a shot of the back of the hut.
13 Back of Hut.jpg
And a night time shot.
14 Night Shot Hut.jpg
It may be difficult for those of you who have never seen the hut in the summer to appreciate the depth of the snow.
15 Summer Hut.jpg
Here are some shots from inside the lower level of the hut (the upper loft is just a deck where everybody sleeps on the floor).
16 cabinet.jpg
Those are nice cabinets. There is also place to hang you wet apparel. There is also a complimentary Coleman two burner stove you can use for cooking.
17 Drying line.jpg
There might be a rodent issue because there were these trays hanging to store food. I didn’t see any signs of rodents. This is probably a non-issue due to the traps we found.
18 Hang Food.jpg
There is still plenty of fire wood left for the wood burning stove.
19 Fire Wood.jpg
20 Stove.jpg
We spent the night and enjoyed a leisurely hike out on Monday morning. There were very heavy crowds on Sunday, but even on Monday we ran into quite a few people.

The Sierra rocks in the winter!

Thanks for reading my report.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote:Thanks Russ, cool pictures. Here is the link to the previous TR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12802&p=96002&hilit ... Man#p96002 Is she texting in that first photo.
Yes, she (Mattie) is a kid...just 5 months older than my Maverick. But she is a real trooper and did a great job.

:nod: =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: =D> :nod:

I had a really hard time posting this report from work. I think my company must have put in some type of security system that confuses HST. I might have to post from my laptop at home. Darn! Now I will need to work!

](*,) ](*,) :lol:

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.