Trip Report: Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass, May 2017

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass

Post by alpinemike »

Majestic and incredible report Harlen! I love all those areas especially the King's Kern Divide region. Have yet to do Kearsarge and Shepherd though. Although I think Shepherd will fall this year in the quest to do Williamson in the fall.

I will strongly second what Hobbes and you advocate for in terms of the ice ax. Mine always comes with me when I expect pretty much any snow at all. I don't even really care if it's all that steep because I never know exactly what route I might want to take. Mine is 11 ounces and I have trusted it on some pretty intense glissades so for 11 ounces I'll bring it to save me from an unfortunate demise. The crampons only come part of the time and get used even less of the time.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Magnificent trip report. Thank you so very much for posting!!!
After 4 years of backcountry skiing, this April we skied from Twin Lakes to Duck pass. It was gloriously beautiful and a big accomplishment for us! I wanted to try a trip like yours this year, but I chickened out fearing I still do not have the skill. It was great to see the Sierra in your pictures.
Thank you again!!!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Did you ski from the big Twin Lakes under the Sawtooth Ridge all the way to Duck Pass?! I don't think I have skied half that distance in one trip! Can I trade some of my foolhardiness for your stamina?

Which passes did you use? I love going up Horse Creek Pass- I assume you used that one at the start? Up through the frozen Toulumne and on to Donohue? How did you get away from the wood stove at the TM Ski Hut? I've been known to stay there nearly a week!

I'd love to hear more about your tour.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Excellent post, thank you for the detailed account. I think Bear and Branch have the same pack! Image
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Branch,

We have the same blue pack, same green collar, same color fur.... hope we can meet up one day. "Woof!" Bear.

p.s. Do you like to swim? Chase sticks? Chase guys on skis? Cool.
bearandvidetteDSCN0039[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

Harlen wrote:Hey Branch,

We have the same blue pack, same green collar, same color fur.... hope we can meet up one day. "Woof!" Bear.

p.s. Do like to swim? Chase sticks? Chase guys on skis? Cool.
bearandvidetteDSCN0039[1].jpg
I love to chase sticks and swim in the alpine lakes! I've never seen someone skiing but if my dad jumped on some I would follow as I am always nearby!Image
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Awesome photo!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Oh, that photo...

I see a "Sierra doggy date" in your futures!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Very nice photos of dogs at play.. thanks for sharing them.. If you have more, post them..

Sam was like Branch.. Jumped in at will. Bubba, sank like a stone. He was rescued twice.. Even once when I saw Samantha using her hips to push him into the deep end.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

rlown wrote:Very nice photos of dogs at play.. thanks for sharing them.. If you have more, post them..

Sam was like Branch.. Jumped in at will. Bubba, sank like a stone. He was rescued twice.. Even once when I saw Samantha using her hips to push him into the deep end.
I think we'll have to start a new thread for this one!

Branch won't swim in the ocean but will fetch if he wants to in the lakes. If I swim in the lakes, he usually follows. That picture was after hiking all day... very refreshing!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk