Skiing the col on Big Bird Peak?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Skiing the col on Big Bird Peak?

Post by Silky Smooth »

Coool Daniel, very nice to meet you. We have many similar interest in rock and the high country, i always enjoyed your climbing trips on there. Rarely log on supertopo nowadays just reading stuff mainly. More active here if i make the effort.

Went for a quick tour in the White's the other day with Blackout!, super fun knobeering as eastside scott calls it.

that rain crust everyone was referring to was unreal a few weeks ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

That's awesome! I've never been into the White Mountains, a splitboarding trip looks like a great way to check it out.

Send your husband down, astrogerly, more people to split the gear weight with :)
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Dan, you ask for advice from those of us who might have skied this line on Big Bird, so I'll tell you how it went for me when I did it just last night. I was tossing and turning with your line in my mind; I skied all the way to the top of the route, looked down over the edge, and then crapped myself. No, I am not proud of it- glad it was a dream.

I admire your skill and courage from a safe distance Dan. All the best, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Haha! Well I hope your dream wasn't like the time that I dreamed I was peeing in the forest and I woke up to find that part of the dream was happening in real life. :paranoid:
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

limpingcrab wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:37 pm That's awesome! I've never been into the White Mountains, a splitboarding trip looks like a great way to check it out.

Send your husband down, astrogerly, more people to split the gear weight with :)
Haha will do! ;)
Cory773
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cory773 »

Hey Daniel, did you get a chance to do this line on your trip across the Sierra last year?