TR: Ski Tour from South Lake to North Lake, 4/13-4/18, 2019

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: T.R. Ski Tour from South Lake to North Lake

Post by limpingcrab »

What did you guys get up on the Tyndall Plateau? And what's with "the dumb ankles Dan?" Did you finally crash and burn (or break?) in one of your couloirs? I hope you heal well.
Some friends and I did the High Route from Pear Lake over to Shepherd. Back in October I broke both of my calcaneus (calcaneii?) rock climbing and was confined to a wheelchair until Christmas. This last trip was my first real trip since then aside from a couple mellow walks and a half day in the snow. It turned out traversing uphill didn't feel very good.

Anyway, here's a short TR about that injury. It's not very long but the comments make the page run on for a while.
http://www.supertopo.com/tr/How-Vitaliy ... 3359n.html

The trip from South Lake to North Lake looks like a blast, I'll have to add it to the list!
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

limpingcrab, I shattered/dislocated/ completely ruined me left ankle 25 years ago rafting the grand canyon, day 11 of a 21 day trip. I finished the trip! 2 weeks later I was in the 1st surgery of 5. I now have a fused ankle that took years to be able to walk on a sidehill in the rocks. Now I still can do everything but run, just always watch where my foot goes. It does hurt some/most of the time but it seems to like to move. I have disassociated with it! I use trekking poles all the time. But I hike/backpack/skimo and have been told I am not slow at any of them! So 25 years later you will still be good...or good enough!
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Sorry Harlen for sidetracking your TR I am heading to Mammoth area for so BC skiing and there skimo event at the mountain this weekend
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

limpingcrab wrote:
Anyway, here's a short TR about that injury
Daniel, I've read it all now. Tragic-Comic-Burly-Inspirational, and Concerning; I think that about covers it. We all hope for your full recovery. Kudos for doing the High Route in pain.....What doesn't kill you... Buenos suerte, Ian.

*Hey Kristine- no worries.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the inspirational trip report as well as the great photos.
Wish that i could pull that trip off like you did, but my skiing skills are beginner level at best.
Anyway, thanks again for a great trip report.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Harlen, you're really tempting me man, I love that section, seldon and silver pass area's are really pretty. I got no time man, checked with work and Blackout!, unfortunately I got no time, its my busy season. Next year, next big snowwww year, def get out!

Happy recovery limpingcrab :) tis a process for sure, wishing you the best
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Silky wrote:
Harlen, you're really tempting me man, I love that section, seldon and silver pass area's are really pretty.
I'm glad to hear that you like that westerly section; I know I will love those pass areas too, and the fire camps with Bearzy. I didn't see a happy weather window last week, but I saw a nice, calm high pressure system up north lasting through tomorrow- Sunday 4/5, so I shot off a couple days ago to Mt. Shasta to try the Casaval Ridge route. I just returned late today, it was Nice!

(Below is a view from near the top of the ridge, back the way I've come.)

100_1727.JPG

The Casaval is a wonderland of spires!

100_1710.JPG

My real hope is still to pull off another longer trip along the JMT- do you think the low country around Edison , and west of Mammoth will still have enough snow? I am open to snow shoeing it too- which is more forgiving in thin and sloppy snow?

Thanks for the comments Silky, and best of luck with time off for skiing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for sharing! What an amazing trip! Definitely not for beginners. While you might be in your 60s and your fitness made you change your very aggressive itinerary, only a lifetime of experiences would allow you to make this epic trip. Congrats and thanks for the inspiration!