Kirkwood 12/2/2019

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Kirkwood 12/2/2019

Post by SSSdave »

KW-120219.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Kirkwood 12/2/2019

Post by SSSdave »

Sisters-wind.jpg
MonteWolf-120619.jpg
Skied 3.5 hours nonstop Friday cranking short turns so this old wiry guy can ease into the ski season. Will get 2 more in next mid week. By the end of this month may be skiing rather strongly. Very windy at ridge lines increasingly in the afternoon with huge wind flags over the ridge line rock. Notch Chute and Sisters. After the 7+ feet from the big storm, the base is 64 inches so they can pretty much open the whole mountain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Nice Dave. Let it keep a comin!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Heavenly bumps 11/30/20219

Post by SSSdave »

LittleDipper_121619b.jpg
Skied a couple more days at Heavenly in the current great cold packed powder snow conditions earlier this week. Our best early December Tahoe resort bases since 2010. Spent each day looping above mogul slope and Comet Express lift, skiing above bumps 11 runs on Monday and 17 on Tuesday. Already am skiing at a high level running long fall lines stopping usually at between tower 11 and 10. Too much fun for an old retired guy haha.

After the epic effort over Shepherd Pass in August and a backpack in early September over Duck Pass, had really only exercised by walking weekly San Francisco hills haha. After 5 hours skiing without a break Sunday, on my last run skied all the way nonstop in the fall line from the road cut at tower 13 down to mid way between tower 10 and 9. I have a relaxed recreational mogul skiing style thus not a speed comp zipper trough style.

Likely be back up Monday for 2 or 3 days before my pass is blacked out for a week. On New Years 3 of us have tickets for the Dead & Co at the new Chase Center Arena and will probably scoot out about 11:30pm to watch the big fireworks show above the Embarcadero.
Last edited by SSSdave on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

After 11 days not skiing due to my season pass holiday week black out dates, was back up for a single day at Kirkwood Monday 1/6/2020. Conditions given a minor warm rain on snow storm, some warm days, and freeze thaw cycles, is considerable frozen surfaces off piste except on groomed runs. Just before Christmas had bought myself a big present, new midfat skis that had bindings mounted New Years day so now my car is regularly packed with a now 4 ski quiver making it even more difficult to occasionally sleep in my back bed haha. New Nordica Santa Ana 88 @165cm are a woman's ski that pairs a balsa wood core with two sheets of metal and carbon strips. It just smoothly crushed every different snow type of surface I skied over while providing a wonderful metallic feeling rebound appropriate for this small 132# old guy as I spent all day excessively countering dynamic turns all day like a lively coiled spring.

Forecast show about 2 to 3 feet of cold dry powder snow will accumulate from several minor storms over the next 10 days, so some of the best skiing this winter is about to be served up during mid to late January.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Northstar fresh powder 1/14/2020

Post by SSSdave »

Goldmine1.jpg

Got day #10 in Tuesday at Northstar after 6" to 8" of cold dry powder overnight. Last 4 days on my new Santa Ana's noted above that are now my primary ski of my 4 ski quiver as they are more versatile and especially fun cranking short dynamic fall line turns on groomers. Above image from the Comstock Express lift of S-turns on my first run down powder on the new skis. On Monday was also at Northstar skiing groomers and bumps including 2 consecutive non-stoppers of short fall line turns down the full 1835 feet of vertical on Railsplitter. Body in peak strength now.