Tuolumne Ski Tour- Trip Report

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne Ski Tour- Trip Report

Post by overheadx2 »

Harlen, I like the idea of kicker skins on less steep tours. Do you have suggestions on which ones you like? How steep of an incline can you do with kickers vs full length?
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

Another great winter report.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

overheadx2 writes:
I like the idea of kicker skins on less steep tours. Do you have suggestions on which ones you like? How steep of an incline can you do with kickers vs full length?
I have the older purple, black diamond climbing skins- both "kicker skins" and full length, and a newer set, also BD skins, but in a more or less black and white color. The new skins are wider than the old purples, and seem to have a slightly shorter "fur." Both worked well on the last trip, but I learned it is very important to put them onto dry ski bottoms. Another tip comes from Rob Pilewski, the TM winter ranger; he advises to place the kicker skins high up on the ski when you mostly need more glide, and less grip- easy, rolling terrain, or on a flat, icy surface, and place them in the normal way- in the middle of the ski, for climbing. I think this assumes that you have waxless skis, but it could work with smooth skis too.
I could have used this knowledge a few years ago when I was skiing down an icy Lyell Canyon for miles and miles under a full moon. It was just a bit too slippery without the skins, and painfully slow with them on.
How steep of an incline can you do with kickers vs full length?
Hard to quantify that, it depends on the surface, but for sure, edge to edge full skins are right for real climbing. I'm more of a snow traveler than an up and downhill charger type; you could get better insight from the sites like "Teletips," et al.
Hey Davela, we should get out there!
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Looks like an awesome trip, Great photos
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com