Seeking ideas for a winter trip above Whitney Portal

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking ideas for a winter trip above Whitney Portal

Post by Gazelle »

Yes that is Gamblers special! From what I can tell by whitney dogs are allowed to the park boundary! I have seen dogs up high last year not saying they should be there but I believe they are allowed. I went with people in 2008? And they went to trail crest with their dog. I could send pictures of up to gamblers just take a right at lower boyscout!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for at least giving me and Bear hope Gazelle; I'll sort the dog question out with a call to the Lonepine USFS office Monday. Gambler's Peak does look pretty nice, but I am also really taken with that view from the summit of Carillon! If dogs are cool in there, that's where I'll head; if not, I may well head up to Big Pine Creek and that Cloudripper. https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2742
Looks pretty straight forward from the eastern ridge line, yes? What you think of skiing in there? Now that I've seen Commonloon Paul's nice video clip of Henry skiing on the Palisade Glacier, I want to go in there on skis not snow-shoes! Quien sabe?
Thanks a lot for the good advice HST folks!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gazelle wrote:
Discovery pinnacle is some good views!
217.JPG
Pinnacle Ridge Top

218.JPG
View west
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Carillon will surely be epic as well. The view of a snow-covered Lake Tulainyo, Russel and The Cleaver (loved that climb!), and Whitney East should be well worth it. Please do share when you get back, no matter where you end up.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I wrote: [to the USFS Mt. Whitney Ranger Station website]
I assume I can enter the Lonepine Creek area above Whitney Portal with my dog as long as he is supervised at all times, and on a 6' leash. Is this still the case? Is it required that I pack out all of his poop?
I hope to get the final word via this site, but this morning I was told by a staff person, who then checked with her supervisor, that I could take Bear into the Whitney area as far as the main divide. She thought that I would have to pack out his poop as well, which I am looking forward to- one of the new joys of hiking around the Whitney area.

213.JPG
Whitney and Russell from below Discovery Pinnacle. This photo seems to show that the high route between Iceberg Lake and the south end of the basin will be manageable for man and dog. That's another way to cross the basin, besides the one west of Thor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

Im not a climber, but what about the peaks like Irvine, Mallory and the easy Candlelight Peak south of Whitney out of Meysan lake.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

The chutes up to mallory plateau could be scary right now ice left over from last year and it is not easy when dry, but also nice area! more snow would make it quite enjoyable! Actually planning on it in the spring
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Harlen wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am This photo seems to show that the high route between Iceberg Lake and the south end of the basin will be manageable for man and dog. That's another way to cross the basin, besides the one west of Thor.
If you’re talking about crossing over from Iceberg to Trail Camp ( or vice versa), I think you have to traverse Pinnacle Ridge, which is fairly easy Class 2-3. Not sure how dogs would fare. Not sure how the traverse holds up in winter.

R/Mike
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

the other side of the ridge from part of the way down from russell
E6BA082B-CAFC-4BCF-81B2-CC7A51AB59B6.jpeg
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

and from top of thor
162B24D3-399D-462A-8810-8D45E7B11DCE.jpeg