A Short Ski Tour Above Lake Sabrina- Trip Report

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Trip Dates: February 25-27

Grateful for the news from WD that snow had actually fallen again in the southern Sierra, I gathered my new skis, and my old dog, and raced around to the Eastside on February the 24th.  I chose to ski into the basins above Lake Sabrina because I have only been up there once before.  Though it had snowed  4-6" at 10,000' between 2/21 and 2/23, I expected to find the same hard-packed surface as on my January trip, with perhaps a nice new layer of softer crust over it.  I got what I expected for the first few miles along the road, and on the west-facing slopes above Lake Sabrina, but then I was surprised to find deep, soft snow on all of the north and east slopes from there on.  We used some old snowshoe tracks along the summer trail, and were alright as long as we stuck to it, but any deviation put my skis beneath the surface, and Bearzy's legs down into bottomless granular snow.  He had to leap and swim through it, which was fun for awhile, but he was having to work very hard.  

The gate was closed at the top of Aspendell, and you can park along the road just before the gate.  I bet now you can ski from the gate to Lake Sabrina, but I had to walk the first bit to where the road branches off to North Lake.  From that point I skied the next couple miles, till the rocky summer trail began to show through.  I booted up the rock and hard snow trail, and then followed the snowshoe tracks till camp at 10,000'-- about a half-mile north of Blue Lake.  It was clear and windless and beautiful.  I'm sorry to say, we didn't get much farther than that.  This was the shortest trip on record, as softened snow on all of the northern and eastern aspects made it miserable for Bearzy, and I never want to make him suffer on these trips.  The next day we wallowed about for a few more miles, and decided to turn around before reaching even Dingleberry Lake.  I remembered the very appealing campsite, and views around the north end of Blue Lake-- which also had nearly a mile of firm, frozen lakeshore for ski touring and dog running.  So we swallowed our pride and returned to that lower paradise.  I had entertained big dreams of day touring up as far as Echo Lake and then climbing up Echo Col for views into upper Evolution Valley, and the Ionian Basin high country, so our effort fell woefully short again... this seems to be a pattern common to many of my recent trips, and I wonder if there is a dismal negative correlation between one's age and miles travelled?  Oh well.

100_3301.jpg
We spent our first night in the Alabama Hills, and so, got a pretty late start because Bearzy loves to mess around in those hills...

100_3295.jpg
climbing in the rocks, and 

100_3322.jpg
driving irresponsibly offroad!

100_3402.jpg
We got off to a great start, moving fast up the road above Aspendell.

100_3327.jpg
The snow was thin and hard above the lake, and everyone was booting up for the first 500.'

100_3400.jpg
3 miles and 1000' up, we camped in this rock garden, planted with mountain mahogany, sage, and pine.

100_3329.jpg
At sunrise on our second day we saw Mt Haeckel lit up; I had hoped to camp in view of that peak, or around Moonlight Lake. It was not to be.

100_3396.jpg
Soon the snow softened and deepened.

100_3340.jpg
When I stepped out of the skis to put on skins I sank thigh-deep!  Bear was wallowing out of his depth.

100_3356.jpg
We had passed this fantastic spot along Blue Lake in the early morning of our second day.

100_3354.jpg
The slope that defeated us is that easy-looking area in the middle left, below Mt. Darwin-- the flat-topped peak to the left.

100_3377.jpg
  Blue Lake was a very nice consolation prize.  We skied and ran all around!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

PART 2
100_3395.jpg

100_3347.jpg
  We had an open water source, and even some dry ground; it couldn't have been better for Bearzy after the trials of swimming in snow.

100_3343.jpg
Here's the gear for this trip:  Voile Objective skis, mounted with AT tech bindings-- Atomic backland tour.  Scarpa F1 AT boots;  Full skins; Aluminum crampons and helmet for the Echo Col we never reached;  B.D. Whippet tool and adjustable ski pole.  MSR liquid fuel stove and Zojirushi thermos-- both recommended to me by HST folks, and both worked very well.  Some of the other new gear needs fine tuning, additions or change- damn!

100_3370.jpg
On our third morning we arose early, packed for breakfast, and skied/ran over to the very best viewpoint at the east end of Blue Lake.  There you have a full 180º mountain view, and we really enjoyed the sunrise from there.

100_3359.jpg
From right to left: peak 13,198', peak 12,800' (due N. of Hell Diver Lakes), and Mount Darwin (13,800+'), and in the foreground a happy dog fetching his stick.

100_3365.jpg
right to left: Peak 12,800', Mt. Darwin, 2 unnamed peaks on Darwin's SE ridge, Mt Haeckel, peak 13,040, and Mt. Wallace.

100_3371.jpg
The big mountain on the right is peak ~11,800', then the sunlit small island peak, then long Thompson Ridge.

100_3387.jpg
A short ski onto Blue Lake gives this view of Mt. Emerson and Piute Crags to the north.  

100_3368.jpg
We scrambled upslope to the north above Blue Lake and got this view west.

100_3349.jpg
Thompson Ridge separates the south and middle forks of Bishop Creek.

100_3376.jpg
Back down on Blue Lake, we skied another lap around.

100_3392.jpg
Though we had to adjust our trip, limiting our miles, and losing out on our goal (*my goal, not Bearzy's), with such perfect weather, beauty, and solitude, we still had a wonderful time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: A Short Ski Tour Above Lake Sabrina- Trip Report

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great to see snow conditions up there. Looks very pretty too. It is nice when there are enough dry places, like that photo of Bearzy on the sleeping pads. Other than the new snow it looks almost like spring conditions. What were the temperatures? I think my jaded view of winter backpacking is from doing it in Wyoming- temperatures between 0F and -50F. Perhaps I should re-think winter backpacking in the Sierra.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Looks beautiful! Thanks for taking us along.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

WD wrote:
Other than the new snow it looks almost like spring conditions. What were the temperatures? I think my jaded view of winter backpacking is from doing it in Wyoming- temperatures between 0F and -50F. Perhaps I should re-think winter backpacking in the Sierra.
Temperatures were spring-like indeed-- During the day I skied in a single shirt, sun hat, and no gloves. I only wore my heavy ski pants because that's all I had-- could've worn shorts. Probably 40's to low 50's in the day, high teens - low 20's at night. I think you should re-think it Nancy; your only problem will be breaking through the ice to do your weird bathing thing. :nod:
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I've been reading through the T.Meadows winter ranger's updates, and I found some information that helps explain our soft snow predicament:
Rob and Laura Pilewski wrote:
The cold and clear weather for most of January [and Feb.] has turned much of snowpack below tree line into a faceted, sugary consistency. This unconsolidated snow has proven difficult for the animals without wings or large padded feet. One of the local coyotes was recently seen struggling through Tuolumne Meadows. Its tracks told the story of its plight. It ambled about looking to gain purchase and cover some ground. But every time it would take a step, it would sink up to its belly. It even tried jumping but this only left craters in the snow and not much progress. When the snowpack is like this we are sure happy for the invention of skis and snowshoes!
So, even the coyotes were having trouble in this sort of snow. I told Bearzy about this, and now he feels better about himself.

Awhile back, torpified wrote:
I'm afraid I have yet another question about Bear: How does he manage not to posthole? Is he some sort of elf? Or does weighing less and distributing his weight across 4 paws make a huge difference to his threshold?
As you see above, it really is a good question. Hopefully for the coyotes sake, some of their prey is equally slowed down

p.s. bobby49, what about those doggie paw shoes you were going to invent?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I can't even keep normal dog boots on the paws of my Border Collie.
torpified
Topix Acquainted

Post by torpified »

Even if he's not wholly elf, Bearzy is one lucky dog! Thanks for the report---and please keep gathering and communicating data on just how elven he is!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

torpified wrote:
Even if he's not wholly elf, Bearzy is one lucky dog! Thanks for the report---and please keep gathering and communicating data on just how elven he is!
Okay, "Torpi,"[BTW, what does "torpified mean?]

So Bearzy has sharp, pointy Elfy ears, and he wears weird and colorful elfy outfits:
carl book 077.JPG

Like Elves, Bearzy loves the mountains...,
gemini trip 089.jpg

and strange forests
022.jpg

and he has unexpected, elf-like powers-- like his ability to drive a car:
100_3322.jpg
Question: why has no one given me $hit for letting Bearzy drive the car, which must be far more illegal than other things he has done?
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Nice trip report.I was there also on the 24-29.We just hiked a few spots:north lake,mcgee canyon,schulmann grove.
Didnt see much in way of bc skis at the gear xchange in bishop.Wish i could submit phone pics here but it says they are too large and im a luddite with these smart phones-and most tech.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;