AT or XC Skis for Remote Cabin Access?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Parvo Pup
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

AT or XC Skis for Remote Cabin Access?

Post by Parvo Pup »

Trying to decide the best ski setup to be used to access a cabin in the Sierras that would require crossing about a 5-6 mile strectch of 2-3 foot deep snow during the winter months.

Access would be across a snowed-over roadbed - so the "base" would be fairly smooth and regular. The altitude gains and losses would average around 500-900 feet over the course within the 5000 to 6000 foot elevation range.

Another factor would be the need to pack in supplies (food and clothing mostly) - figure 20-25 pounds for a week.

So - would a classic XC package of skinny waist, high camber skate skis be called for - or lean more towards an AT or Randonee rig for the robustness of that package?
Sometimes I have a great notion
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Uh, it's been years, but I'd go with the beefier package if hauling a pack. Just my preference. My first set of skis I ever had were, get this, wood! Bonna's I seem to recall. Lignostone edges, and Silvretta cable bindings, klister, 5 different waxes, (ugh! Circa 1975). 4 miles into a trip, a hard, flailing turn ripped out the R binding. Epoxy wouldn't set, duct tape, well.... We were only 15 or 16 at the time. Twas a long trudge out, in a storm which just happened to start hours later. Wished I'd had something fatter, good sidecut, and waxless with metal edges. A work horse set up, yet easy enough to handle in varying conditions, and have some fun too!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: AT or XC Skis for Remote Cabin Access?

Post by copeg »

Parvo Pup wrote:Trying to decide the best ski setup to be used to access a cabin in the Sierras that would require crossing about a 5-6 mile strectch of 2-3 foot deep snow during the winter months.

Access would be across a snowed-over roadbed - so the "base" would be fairly smooth and regular. The altitude gains and losses would average around 500-900 feet over the course within the 5000 to 6000 foot elevation range.

Another factor would be the need to pack in supplies (food and clothing mostly) - figure 20-25 pounds for a week.

So - would a classic XC package of skinny waist, high camber skate skis be called for - or lean more towards an AT or Randonee rig for the robustness of that package?
I think this depends upon preference, and what your gonna do when you get to the cabin. AT and telemark skis are more designed for the downhill end, whereas xc skis are designed for flats, steady uphill, and touring. If your planning to do some b/c downhill skiing I'd opt for an AT/telemark skis. If not, I think the XC skis will be better. Treading through 2-3 foot deep snow will be extremely tiresome...perhaps at least partially negated by using a lighter XC setup.
This sounds like a fun trip - regardless of your choice :D have fun
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Hey Pup, whatever you decide, haul a sled.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/128 ... 8739pzBdIH#
gdurkee
Founding Member

AT or XC skis

Post by gdurkee »

The AT setup has always seemed to me overkill for most backcountry skiing. Trailblazer is right that it's more for people doing high angle gullies and bowls where you want more control. They're less fun, even awkward, for traveling (just because of the heavier boot/binding setup).

I've been traveling for years on XC mountaineering skis. Using Black Diamond's Mira right now. Short and semi-wide for good flotation and easy turning. I'm in the minority among my friends in that I just use the regular 3 pin binding -- most of my friends are using a cable, though just the regular toe binding. Don't go for too much camber, makes for harder turning. Those are only useful on set or well used track in my experience. Also check out the Fischer Rebound (??). It's their waxless mountaineering ski. I've been pretty happy with it.

And, like Ridgeline says, it might not be a bad idea to try a sled. When you've got a lot of side hill, they're a real pain. But if you're on a road, you're probably OK. Years ago friends and I were on Denali for 4 weeks with just those plastic kiddie sleds with ropes through them and PVC pipe behind our packs (rope threaded through the pipe) to keep some control and away from our ski ends). Worked great as long as we were going straight up or straight down. They'd roll over on steep sidehill traverse. You also want skins if you're hauling a sled (or, really, in most all conditions).

Good luck,

George