ski pass discount deadlines

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

ski pass discount deadlines

Post by SSSdave »

Note for those considering skiing Tahoe this coming winter, the 21/22 EPIC passes are discounted until September 6. ICON pass discounts ended May 4. There are also discounts for military vets and some other groups. Generally these nationwide passes are complex so anyone with an interest will need to study web pages for information. For those that have not been paying attention this last decade, ski resort walk-up lift ticket prices have risen to high levels often above $100 a day that has been extremely discouraging to occasional enthusiasts. That has been to encourage season ticket purchases. On the other hand, season passes are far cheaper. The last 2 winters my lift ticket costs have been below $20 a day. Of course there are significant costs beyond lift tickets, including gear, lodging, food, and gasoline to drive to/from resorts. For those looking for less expensive options, South Lake Tahoe with its large weekend gambler lodging base, midweek has numbers of reasonable accommodations in the $50>$70 per night range (including tax etc) that charge 3 figures on weekends. Of course when one buys a season pass, one gambles on snow conditions.

https://www.ikonpass.com/
https://www.epicpass.com/
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: ski pass discount deadlines

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, between having kids now and backcountry skiing a decent selection of days, I can't get enough days in to justify a season pass. Plus COVID. I skied one day on a lift last year (in May, on Mt Hood), 10 backcountry days. I bet it's probably closer to a 3/8 split or something like that this year, but still not enough. I do miss riding lifts tho....

That said, I thought Sierra at Tahoe had the best deal on a season pass (~$350), and there's nowhere I'd rather be on a storm day than in the trees there. But being passless last year, I was better able to chase conditions. Did a lot of trips up to Lassen last year, whereas if I had a pass I'd probably feel pressure to use it.

And the snow forecast is leaning moderate La Nina this year again. So if you're a SoCal'er on the fence about that Big Bear season pass, might be a good year to skip it.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.