Cool places to snowshoe

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
kdbshri
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Cool places to snowshoe

Post by kdbshri »

I relocated from Colorado this past summer :crybaby: . Looking for suggestions on good spots to go snow shoeing. I only get one weekend off a month, and I want to make the best of it! Any recommendations would be appreciated.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves" - Sir Edmond Hillary
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

No need to cry, you have the best mountain range in the world at your disposal! Oakdale is a great base to work out of for Tahoe, and especially Yosemite! Get out the maps and check out the Glaicer Point road on the south side of Yosemite Valley. It's closed in winter, and a nice mellow snowshoe to one of the best views in the world.
Hope Valley and Carson Pass just south of Tahoe is superlative snowshoeing country.
Highway 4, the Ebbetts Pass road, is closed just past the Bear Valley ski area, and offers a lot of good terrain along and off the road.
This might give you a few ideas, the list is really endless though. Welcome to the Range of Light! And, remember to stock up on Hershey bars for your trips! :D
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I'll also second the Yosemite idea. Plenty of places to go from the Badger Pass "trailhead". Check out my site for some of the snowshoe trips I've done: Snowshoe Trips
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I'll third the Yosemite idea. There are places in Sequoia you can go as well (out of Wolverton is where I'm thinking specifically). If you ever make it over to the east side, Little Lakes Valley is an amazing place to go. There are many SnoPark areas around you can use as launching points if you want to pay for the permit ( http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1233 ). As JM said, there really are so many choices.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Quick note, on Highway 4, at the winter closure gate. If you park in front of the gate, which has 20 feet of snow right behind it, you could get a ticket for blocking the road. CHP is pretty bored in these parts! If you live on the east side, it's a long drive to the courthouse, unless you have a snowmobile.