Full Moon Ride

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Full Moon Ride

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

With the epic lunar action last weekend it left us no choice but to venture up toward the Log Cabin Mine area for a little R&R. The relatively warm temps on Saturday allowed the snow to set up a little and we figured it would be safe between that and the fact that Cal Trans has the Gas Ex system up there to blast down potential slides areas. We took the ladies up to watch the moon rise over Mono via snowmobile. After a little hot chocolate and Peppermint Snaps it was time to make a few turns down to 395 via single plank and moon light. Epic adventure to say the least and the girls made it back safely with the sleds ta boot!
There are sooooo many killer lines that are easy to get access between Lee Vining and Lundy Canyon….I recommend much!

Thanks for reading,
BMFB
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Full Moon Ride

Post by hikerduane »

I used to go quite often with a friend or friends for night rides and some moonlight rides to midnight or later. No one out, beautiful with the moon, being able to see very well. Lakes Basin area up north here out of Graeagle or Bucks Lake area mostly at night. Lakes Basin was best for all day, weekend rides. Now, I still have an old sled and my friends have more powerfull and less polluting sleds.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice moon shot! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Used to do simiar stuff back in the 80"s when i worked at Sugar Bowl. On full moon nights that were clear, we would catch a ride to the top of Lincoln with the groomers and ski down. Repeat until tired or the clouds came in.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead