Yosemite Valley Closed

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Valley Closed

Post by maverick »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: Yosemite Valley Closed

Post by hikerduane »

I was viewing the webcams, all one camera shows is a wall of snow, a few others are MIA.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The Tioga Pass CDEC sensor at http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?TES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows almost 183" of snow. That's about 6' more than last year at this time. I sure miss the tioga pass webcam.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

rlown wrote: I sure miss the tioga pass webcam.
Me, too! There's hope, though. The website has the following statement dated 29 October 2010.
The Yosemite Conservancy has contacted us and is interested in helping us restore the camera system at Tioga Pass. We do not have a formal commitment from the Yosemite Conservancy yet. We have forwarded a list of equipment to the Yosemite Conservancy and we are still waiting to hear back on whether they are going to fund it. The National Park Service is offering use of their satellite link for transmission of the images (this will alleviate the power/phone line issues we have had).
If anybody on the board knows someone in the Yosemite Conservancy (used to be the Yosemite Natural History Association, yes?), maybe a nudge wouldn't hurt...
—B²
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

sentinel Dome webcam is pretty good, however, it currenlty only shows a big ass snow drift, not Half Dome and Clouds Rest like it did just a few days ago :)

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com ... ntinel.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I sure love the current view the cameras show at times, some very good shots, would make many a photographer jealous I'm sure. I'll check when a storm is happening or there abouts.
Piece of cake.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ozark Flip »

Back Open - Anyone need current updates send me a PM. I am around there a lot.

Yosemite, CA -- All roads into Yosemite National Park are back open today.

Park Ranger Kari Cobb reports that this includes Highway 120, Highway 140 and Highway 41. Park officials warn that this could change though depending on weather conditions. The park is open to visitors until 7pm tonight and all of the resorts will honor today's reservations. Most buildings in the park are running on generators because power will not be restored until sometime this weekend. There will be limited food and retail services available today. All campgrounds in Yosemite will be closed until noon on Monday.

The Merced River Plan Recreation Workshop scheduled for Friday has been postponed until further notice.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

Free entry until all power is restored...