Sierra Nevada Skiing

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Terry Wallace
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sierra Nevada Skiing

Post by Terry Wallace »

I am new to the forum so maybe my questions have been answered in the past. A few of us are planning a trip down to Lake Sabrina (White Mountain Ranger District). We are hoping to summit both Mt Fiske and Mt Wallace. (One of our last names is Wallace and another has the last name Fisk, so we thought it would be appropriate). We are from Canada so we don't know very much about the area south of the 49th parallel.

My first question is, what is the weather in the area like from mid april to end of may? Is there still quite a large amount of snow on the ground or has a significant melt cycle already taken place?

Also has anyone ever summited the peaks and skied them? We are hoping to have some decent spring corn descents.

Anyways any help is appreciated.

Hopefully this winter is a good one.

Thanks

Terry
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Sierra Nevada Skiing

Post by John Dittli »

Welcome to the board eh.

Last week in April- first week in May is usually the best corn down here. Now that said, it can also be snowing, hard. And yes, there is usually still quite a large amount of snow on the ground. Depending on the year, the road may not be open up to Sabrina at that time, so allow for a bit of road walking (from Aspendell or North Lake Jct).

Fiske has a splendid descent via the south bowl as seen in the photo far right. Wallace, I haven't skied and I can't seem to locate my photo of it from Echo Lake.

The photo was taken 2nd week in May of a very big snow year.
1105_ 1534_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Still not the winter photo, but this is the terrain in summer- East bowl below Mt Wallace from Echo Lake.
1009_1140_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry Wallace
Topix Newbie

Post by Terry Wallace »

Thanks for your reply John.

The picture of Mt Fiske is a great one to show conditions at that time of year. From the Lake Sabrina entrance in early May, is there a fair bit of snow left to travel on? Would we need to plan for a mixed access to Fiske?(hiking boots and ski gear) or would ski gear most likely provide us with the necessary tools to access?

Thanks a bunch again.

I am not sure how much it will help but I have ordered a high sierra trail book for some light reading.

Terry
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

In early May you can usually start skiing from the far end of Sabrina if not right from your car. I've never carried hiking shoes for a long spring tour here. Even last year which I think was the 5th driest on record, I skied car to car on a tour up in Yosemite the last week in April.
Terry Wallace
Topix Newbie

Post by Terry Wallace »

Thanks John.

Maybe in a few more months I will get in contact with you when we have a more solid plan in place.

Terry