"new" Sierra Pk- Mt Andrea Lawrence

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: "new" Sierra Pk- Mt Andrea Lawrence

Post by John Dittli »

Thanks Mike, to celebrate the Parks 100th birthday no doubt? Do you know who was behind that effort? The NPS/DOI seems to avoid getting involved in such things.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Mike for the name and date. The only one I was aware of but it still
has not gained an official status to the best of my knowledge is "Mount Randy
Morgenson" named back in 1998. http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=32252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hey Maverick, how's it going?

There are actually many peaks (passes and other features) that have both commonly used, as well as less commonly used names, that have never been approved by, or even submitted to, the BNG (U.S. Board on Geographic Names). These would include: as you mentioned Morgenson, as well as Mt Carl Heller, Bartholomew, Sharsmith, Tom Ross and most recently, Brower, to name but a few.

Many other names come about when guidebook writers create names with some disregard to local, historical nomenclature.
Last edited by John Dittli on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

An accomplished champion and truly inspiring mountain spirit. A fitting prominent peak atop the headwater divide of the Tuolumne and San Joaquin Rivers for her honor. Rest in Peace Andrea, we love you!

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

John

Concerning the process of naming Centenial, Check out this link:

The article is by Bill Tweed. In my experience Bill was able to help me solve a few "historical puzzles."
Most notable was a gigantic cairn I came across on the divide between Crowley and Box Canyons in the Sugarloaf Creek Drainage. I showed him the location on a map, he thought for a few seconds then said that it was the NE corner marker for the original Sequoia National Park boundary. We pulled out an old historic map and he had it nailed.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!