Rope bundle advice!

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
justin.s
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Rope bundle advice!

Post by justin.s »

I think you guys can help: I would like to learn a way to bundle rope for the following purpose...
I am going on a canoeing trip and have a pack loaded with over $2000 of expensive backcountry gear onboard. Should the canoe sink (unlikely) I will have a buoy attached to one end of my rope which will float as the pack sinks. The other end of the rope will be attached to the pack. The bundle of rope must hold itself together, but be able to be cleanly and reliably undone by pulling on opposite ends. HELP me please! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rope bundle advice!

Post by rlown »

justin.s wrote:I think you guys can help: I would like to learn a way to bundle rope for the following purpose...
I am going on a canoeing trip and have a pack loaded with over $2000 of expensive backcountry gear onboard. Should the canoe sink (unlikely) I will have a buoy attached to one end of my rope which will float as the pack sinks. The other end of the rope will be attached to the pack. The bundle of rope must hold itself together, but be able to be cleanly and reliably undone by pulling on opposite ends. HELP me please! Thanks!

You could treat the rope like an extension cord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0

or you could put the pack in a sealed plastic bag (it won't sink that way), or you could just tie it off to the canoe. doubtful the canoe will fully sink.

Not a fan of the buoy idea. All depends on if you're on a lake or a river.

Welcome to the forum!
justin.s
Topix Novice

Rope bundle advice!

Post by justin.s »

It would take a really large, tough sealed bag to hold this 65 pound 75 liter pack! Even then I'd be shocked to see my 65 lb pack float! Haha! Wish it would! I think I definitely need the rope bundle plan as insurance... Help.. My current bundle has the problem of the outside coil needing to be fully intact for the bundle to undo itself, also the tail end has to be tucked under itself to hold the coil in place.. So any tension on the tail end (see Imagephoto) makes the rope unable to unravel through the coil. Image

Last edited by justin.s on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

that pad alone will make it float. It's about displacement and the weight of water. I'd choose lashing it to the canoe.

where are you going? and lake or river?

ps: don't put those exercise weights in the background in the pack :)
justin.s
Topix Novice

Post by justin.s »

Boundary waters lakes (northern MN)

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

justin.s wrote:Boundary waters lakes (northern MN)

ahh.. lakes. and not deep. lash it to the canoe. spent lots of summers up there. you'll have no issue other than bugs.
justin.s
Topix Novice

Post by justin.s »

Haha I'm a broke college student with way too much hard earned money stuffed into that pack. Makes me so nervous floating across a lake in a canoe with it! Haha

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you worry to much :D still, if you flip the canoe and she's not in a bag, you're still having an issue. just a garbage bag or two and some duct tape will save some time drying things out. At least your sleeping bag should be in a sealed garbage bag, as well as electronics in their own dry bag.

Have you been on a canoe before? Just wondering because.. well..

More important: Wear a life preserver. Pack and gear is replaceable. You are not.

And everyone's pack is worth 2k if you add it up.

Thread needs to be moved to "beyond the sierra"
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It would take a really large, tough sealed bag to hold this 65 pound 75 liter pack!
For example: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/ ... le/product
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org