Paddling June Lakes Loop and Mono Lake

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
ogg
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Paddling June Lakes Loop and Mono Lake

Post by ogg »

I have a family vacation coming up, me, wife, two daughters (teen and tween) staying for several days in a cabin in June Lake. I'm planning on hauling my 17' Old Town Discovery canoe and cramming the four of us into it for some light paddling, though I may bring along a second single kayak if I can fit on the canoe trailer. One thing on the itinerary is paddling Mono Lake. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to where/when/how to launch on Mono, and/or June lakes loop or other nearby lakes. I'm most particularly interested in insight on paddling Mono Lake. Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Paddling June Lakes Loop and Mono Lake

Post by rlown »

ogg wrote:I have a family vacation coming up, me, wife, two daughters (teen and tween) staying for several days in a cabin in June Lake. I'm planning on hauling my 17' Old Town Discovery canoe and cramming the four of us into it for some light paddling, though I may bring along a second single kayak if I can fit on the canoe trailer. One thing on the itinerary is paddling Mono Lake. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to where/when/how to launch on Mono, and/or June lakes loop or other nearby lakes. I'm most particularly interested in insight on paddling Mono Lake. Thanks!
Try this: https://www.monolake.org/images/boating.pdf

I'd call the Mono Lake visitors center to see if this information is still accurate.

PFD's for everyone, even if we float better in salt water. Lots of sun screen and big floppy hats :)

Have a great trip.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I would suggest paddling Mono Lake in the morning, when the winds are usually calm or totally still. Sometimes in the afternoon or late morning some pretty fierce winds can come up suddenly, which could be dangerous.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

also in the attached pdf.
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

I second the advice to paddle early.I'm sure you as well as every experienced paddlers has horror stories about afternoon winds. Especially on a huge lake in a canoe. Have a great trip tell us how it goes
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Go early, you don't want to end up like this guy:

Mono SAR:
On April 22, 2017 at 1724 MCSO dispatch received a 911 call for a report of a 30 year old stranded kayaker from San Francisco on Paoha Island in Mono Lake. He had no cell service but was able to call 911. He reported due to wind he was unable to paddle back to Navy Beach where his vehicle was parked. Deputy Pelichowski and SAR member Luke Hammack launched a Sheriff Patrol boat from the Tioga Lodge area and responded to the south end of the island. The subject was located on the shoreline near his deflated kayak. He had left Navy beach around noon, not realizing how far the islands were from the shore. Approximately half way to the island, the wind picked up and pushed him all the way to the south end of Paoha Island. He attempted several times to paddle back but each time was unable. The subject and his gear were loaded into the patrol boat where a quick medical assessment revealed his only complaint was feeling cold due to being soaking wet and not having shoes. He said that due to the wind and waves, he began to take on water in his inflatable kayak. He was transported back to the Tioga Lodge area and provided a ride to his vehicle at Navy Beach.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org