Absolutely sick- Evan Garcia on Royal Flush

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Absolutely sick- Evan Garcia on Royal Flush

Post by mokelumnekid »

Evan Garcia styles the Royal flush

Last edited by mokelumnekid on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Absolutely sick- Evan Garcia on Royal Flush

Post by Cross Country »

I am blown away. It's the most incredible thing I've ever seen. Before today I would have thought this to be virtually impossible. I only inject the word "virtually" because I just saw it "for real". Wow!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very cool MK! Sent it to my brother in law who is really into this too. Had seen a video
he showed me a few years back with similar drop offs, but with the cameras on the
helmet it gives the viewers a third dimension to the whole experience. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Thanks guys. There is an absolute revolution in Sierra sport taking place right under our noses, and it is in the white water realm. Most everyone (99.9%?) who travel the mountains are unaware of it, but like the "Second Wave" of big wall climbers out of Camp 4 in the late '60's-early to mid '70's, the current wave of extreme kayakers doing mind-blowing, ever more difficult runs that are simply beyond what people could imagine a decade ago, maybe even five years ago, are creating a legacy that is impacting the world. People like Evan Garcia, Darin McQuoid, Chris Korbulic, Ben Stookesberry and the so-called Shasta Boys are showcasing the amazing and world class Sierra canyons as places to set new standards, just as Yosemite did back in the day.

I am an absolute hack at kayaking, but I have learned enough to marvel at what these people have done to utterly blow away old standards. Plus I love the scenery ;)
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

mokelumnekid wrote:Thanks guys. There is an absolute revolution in Sierra sport taking place right under our noses, and it is in the white water realm. Most everyone (99.9%?) who travel the mountains are unaware of it, but like the "Second Wave" of big wall climbers out of Camp 4 in the late '60's-early to mid '70's, the current wave of extreme kayakers doing mind-blowing, ever more difficult runs that are simply beyond what people could imagine a decade ago, maybe even five years ago, are creating a legacy that is impacting the world. People like Evan Garcia, Darin McQuoid, Chris Korbulic, Ben Stookesberry and the so-called Shasta Boys are showcasing the amazing and world class Sierra canyons as places to set new standards, just as Yosemite did back in the day.

I am an absolute hack at kayaking, but I have learned enough to marvel at what these people have done to utterly blow away old standards. Plus I love the scenery ;)
Keep posting the awesomeness!
My colleagues still talk about the Kings River videos I shared with them a while back as a result of your post here. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Craziest video ever! Those guys are maniacs, just doing gainers while the guy goes over the waterfall.
ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

That was crazy. :thumbsup:
The mountains are calling and I must go.

~John Muir
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

To me, this is the best of the extreme sports because for one thing it requires a tremendous amount of skill, maybe the most.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

It is somewhat like the extreme skiing we see these days, very committing. I have only been kayaking a few years, but I enjoy it a lot more than I did rock climbing. Kayaking is a lot like many of these high-end sports, seems like one has to have started young to develop the skill-set for the really advanced stuff.