TR: Stuart Fork Trinity Alps July 3-6

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
scrotata
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Stuart Fork Trinity Alps July 3-6

Post by scrotata »

Thought I would of seen more snow up there. Went on same trip for July 4th in 2010 and there was a lot more snow. See picture looking down on Caribou Lake.
6791498E-6541-4C7A-8DAA-7AAA0B09A0C3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Wow, Scrotata, that is practically from the same camera angle. Yes, it does look like the Alps are a couple of weeks ahead of where they were when you visited. I imagine by next week the Caribou surface will be 100% ice free.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Wow, from what the rangers said a few weeks back, was expecting more snow, especially up at Caribou. Really enjoyed the TR and picture KP, they show why those are some of the prettiest lakes in the TA. Unlike WD, I enjoyed my trip to the area during the Fall season a bite more, but either way, that place is very scenic.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was up there in the fall too. Plenty of bear evidence, including one visiting my camp, as well as some owls I heard hooting and coyotes yipping and howling my first and only night. Just before Portuguese Camp, I was surprised when a Heron took off out of the water right in front of me as I rounded a corner. To Wandering Daisy's point, a really nice sized rainbow swam by while I was getting water at Emerald Lake. I also didn't continue onto Mirror Lake, but in my case, it was due to storm clouds building up. I definitely want to go back some time soon and include Caribou Lake.
Thanks for the nice write-up and pics.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the great report and photos! I haven't been to the Trinity Alps yet but they look to be a nice hybrid of Sierra granite and Cascades green slopes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are no trail quotas in the Trinity Alps or Marble Mountains. This can be good or bad. The good is that you can just go and not worry about permits; the bad is that you could end up in a very crowded place. Canyon Creek on 4th of July one trip was really crowded, but once I got off the trail there was nobody (off-trail in the Trinity Alps is not easy). Stuart Fork late fall was what I would expect in the Sierra, permits or not- a few other people (notable difference is that most others you see will be hunters- a good idea to wear hunter orange). Other than a few noted scenic hikes, most of each wilderness area is less "spectacular", but has some good fishing and is very pretty for those who really like more vegetated scenery. The western lower elevations can even be done in the winter. Having backpacked in the Washington Cascades, Trinity Alps do not quite live up to the alpine character of that area. Nevertheless, northern CA coast ranges do offer those of us living in northern CA some good early and late season options.

Another very little known backpack area for those in northern CA, is the Warner Wilderness, up in the far northeast corner of CA. I have done two trips up there and enjoyed both a lot. But this is near the desert, so this is an early season area- too hot and dried up in the fall. Another nice very early season area is Snow Mountain. Probably the most surprising area for me was the far northwest corner of the state in the Klamath Mountains- very tough hiking. I never know tress could grow on slopes that steep and that I would have to drive one-lane dirt roads barely clinging to these slopes. :eek: These alternate areas get little use and when backpacked in them, I felt really strung out and anxious. Made the Sierra seem very civilized!

I have slowly been doing the 58 county high points in CA and this project has taken me to many areas I would have never thought of going. I have about 10 left to do, mostly southern CA because it is a far drive for me. Not sure I will ever get this life-long project done, but it has been fun.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

After the trail from big flat on coffee creek, we went cross country towards Ward Lake to miss the long haul up the pass North of Ward. A series of rock hopping with lots of brush on each ridge. Drove one in my party almost crazy. The rock is very good though in terms of the coarseness of the surface. If you landed on the next, your boots stuck. We were retrieving our bear from Ward. Glad it snowed on us in late Sept; saved the meat.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well done trip report thanks. I haven't hiked in any of those northern mountains. Note the trailhead is really low, at 2.8k with Morris at 4.2k and Emerald at 5.5k. So excellent early summer choice this summer hitting the peak of greenery and wildflowers. Lakes look very fishy.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Great pictures. Last time I went up Stuart Fork was in November 2013 I think, over Thanksgiving. Chilly but deserted. Ice on the trail up to Sapphire. Headed up the Caribou scramble and looked down at the lake, very snowy. Some nice memories from the Trinity Alps.

Re: South Warner Wilderness -- yes, enjoyable. I visited in 2002 or 2003, doing the loop. Have to visit again, and the Marbles too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk