Possible increase in Point Reyes camping fees

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Possible increase in Point Reyes camping fees

Post by LMBSGV »

Point Reyes National Seashore is proposing to double the overnight camping fees for the backcountry campgrounds (from $20 to $40). I find this proposed fee increase to be ridiculous. I've camped in Point Reyes since 1976, and the previous fee increases have not been so large. Camping (especially backcountry camping) should be priced so low income people can still afford to go.

If you would like to comment on this proposal, you have until September 30 to let them know what you think.

Here is the link:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... tID=104273
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Possible increase in Point Reyes camping fees

Post by rlown »

Gotta fund the pensions somehow. And yes it is ridiculous.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

:eek: $40: Won't be going there anymore.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

LMBSGV wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 pm Point Reyes National Seashore is proposing to double the overnight camping fees for the backcountry campgrounds (from $20 to $40). I find this proposed fee increase to be ridiculous. I've camped in Point Reyes since 1976, and the previous fee increases have not been so large. Camping (especially backcountry camping) should be priced so low income people can still afford to go.
This seems fair to me. Suppy & demand. Those backcountry sites are always booked solid. I've said before backpackers need to pay their fair share, and a $40 fee for a weekend trip is still peanuts compared to many other weekend activities.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just sent my comments. Suggested that they charge per person rather than per campsite and have a few open group sites, similar to Camp4 in Yosemite. Also said having backpackers shoulder all the expenses is not fair. A lot of the "needs" for funding were more enhancements for day-use. A small fee for day-use would actually bring in more money since there are many more day-users than backpackers.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I wonder how many day use fees they would have to collect to cover the cost of building and staffing entry kiosks. Seems like they'd have to have several; one at Bear Valley, one for the Limantour Road, one for Five Brooks, and one for Palomarin.
It does seem like doubling all at once is a bit much.
I sent comments via the park service online form.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

paul wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm I wonder how many day use fees they would have to collect to cover the cost of building and staffing entry kiosks
Most places in the Santa Clara county parks just uses an iron ranger. Then drive around and give tickets to those that didn't pay the fee. Pinnacles operates that way as well, so it can be done in the NPS system.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Supply and demand is not an equitable way to run a public agency- those who can afford to pay, get to go, poor people are locked out. I would rather see a lottery system. And yes, day-users also need to put in their fair share.

And, by the way, it is really easy to "stealth" backpack, if you look like a day-hiker and do not park in the official parking lots. Raise the rate too high and people will start to sneak in.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

“Stealth” backpacking is definitely popular at Point Reyes. One does not even need to park overnight. People simply have a friend drop them off at one of the trailheads and then they hike in. One finds an empty campsite after 6:00, sets up, enjoys the night, and hikes back out early enough in the morning to avoid the rangers before they start working. The friend picks them up again. If all the campsites are taken, one simply finds a spot on the beach. I’ve seen people behind the sand dune by Coast Camp on three different occasions, along with people who take an empty site, especially the group site, when no one is there.

Also, I did check on the inflation rate versus the proposed fee increase. When the fees we paid in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s,and 2000s are adjusted for inflation, it comes to $21, $25, $27, and $25, respectively. In other words, if you want to account for inflation, then the correct fee increase would be to charge $25 when compared to 2010. (Source: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/)
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I just looked at the web-site and the fees ended up $30 ($15 with golden age pass) a night plus the reservation fee. The backpacking campgrounds are very similar to any other campgrounds in National Parks, so the $30 fee is consistent with others. Not sure if their $40 projection was simply an inflated number so they could settle on $30 which was their real intent. You still pay the same for one person as six (limit at each site). They will let you use group sites, but at the same fee. I am hoping for the day when they offer a per-person fee for the group sites, like Camp4 in Yosemite.

I have not tried to reserve a site yet. Likely everything will be booked and I will still have to wait for a same-day cancellation.