Man Killed in Yellowstone Hot Spring

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
fishwrong
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Man Killed in Yellowstone Hot Spring

Post by fishwrong »

OK, I'll say IT too. "Some times bad things happen." Those who feel "they deserved it" might want to think of how many times they've tripped on a root, slipped in the shower or had a near miss car incident. Never had a moment of poor judgment? Honestly????

A guy made a mistake and it cost him his life, isn't that enough. Imagine watching a loved one die in front of you and realize you're going to have to see, hear and read the comments from the "OK, I'll say it" crowd forever. Bad things happen every day. Sometimes to stupid people, others to good folks who make a mistake and even those who have a random accident... There are lessons to be learned from all of them. One is stuff happens, so realize it can happen to you. Another is they give keyboards to anybody....
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

fishwrong wrote:OK, I'll say IT too. "Some times bad things happen." Those who feel "they deserved it" might want to think of how many times they've tripped on a root, slipped in the shower or had a near miss car incident. Never had a moment of poor judgment? Honestly????

A guy made a mistake and it cost him his life, isn't that enough. Imagine watching a loved one die in front of you and realize you're going to have to see, hear and read the comments from the "OK, I'll say it" crowd forever. Bad things happen every day. Sometimes to stupid people, others to good folks who make a mistake and even those who have a random accident... There are lessons to be learned from all of them. One is stuff happens, so realize it can happen to you. Another is they give keyboards to anybody....
Thank you.
8 years ago, my son passed out while driving and crashed. He had an unknown medical condition that caused the episode. Had to be life flighted to the hospital. After many surgeries and much time in the hospital, he is nearly 100%. But in the writeup in the local paper, the people commenting on the accident who had no idea of the circumstances, were saying he got what he deserved, that he shouldn't have been driving like an a hole, and stuff like that. It was frustrating and hurtful.

BTW, my son is now a nurse, a decision that was a result of his accident.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

I don't think we should confuse accidents to deliberate acts. We live in a society today where many people feel rules, regulations and laws apply to other people but themselves. This kid knowingly violated these, a deliberate act, and the consequence was losing his life. Life's hard, but it's harder when your stupid.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I'll say it. He deserved what he got.
This kid knowingly violated these, a deliberate act, and the consequence was losing his life. Life's hard, but it's harder when your stupid
I find these critiques are beyond the pale. Are you guys thinking this through clearly?
What if this was one of your children? We are not all built the same, and were not all raised like you. Something you might never think to try, comes very easily to others. It should be obvious to you that a 23 year old is still a work in progress, and will develop better judgement with time and the effort of mentors. But beyond all of that, the young guy was after a soak in a forbidden hot pool, for f___ sake! And he slipped!
He wasn't ignoring the laws that say you cannot kidnap a child and do whatever you want with them, or the law that says you cannot put strychnine, or razor blades into Halloween candy.... Get a grip.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Good job getting worked up over a 5 year old thread
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

TahoeJeff wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 am Good job getting worked up over a 5 year old thread
THIS INJUSTICE WILL NOT STAND (longer than 5 years)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.