Muddy pk, Muddy mtn, Virgin pk, Little Virgin pk, Billy Goat

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Sierragator
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Muddy pk, Muddy mtn, Virgin pk, Little Virgin pk, Billy Goat

Post by Sierragator »

Summited Muddy, Muddy, and Little Virgin on saturday, did Virgin and Billy Goat today to round out another great weekend of peakbagging.

Muddy Peak lives up to its billing as a desert peak classic, fun climb. The 3-4 class chute to gain the summit is a blast. The traverse over to the Muddy Range high point of Muddy Peak involved some route finding, but was mostly an up and down ridge walk.

Due to road washouts, had to park a little further out from Virgin peak than planned. This peak offers a great panorama of surrounding red rock formations, Lake Mead, the Virgin river valley, and distant peaks and table lands over in Utah and AZ. The route description for Virgin mentions an old mine as a landmark for leaving the canyon to gain the SE ridge of Virgin. Never did see that old mine. Minor bushwacking to gain the ridge, much smoother coming back down as the open part of the route was more obvious.

After leaving Virgin peak, the route to Billy Goat is a steep ridge walk from the Whitney Pass area.
Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home."
wingding

Post by wingding »

Sierragator - You really move fast.

I've heard that Muddy Peak is a fun climb - it's one I've been wanting to do for a while but still haven't gotten to it.

For Virgin, do you have any idea how many extra miles were added to your hike due to the road wash-outs?
Sierragator
Founding Member

Post by Sierragator »

You can pretty much count on the 8-9 mile rt described in Zdon's book. You can get past the corral and into the canyon. Just after you enter the canyon you will have to park. After reading Zdon's write up, I had planned on being able to drive further in. Still a good day on the mountain.
Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home."
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

*no_pics*

j/k! When are you getting a new camera????

Feels great to get multiple peaks! Sounds like you had a good weekend! :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Sierragator....YOur hikes sound so wonderful..I would love to see pictures of all these desert peaks you have been doing!
When are going to get a camera? :D