Attacked while running, Maine woman drowns rabid raccoon

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Attacked while running, Maine woman drowns rabid raccoon

Post by rlown »

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg
HOPE, Maine — A Maine woman says a rabid raccoon attacked her while she was out for a run, so she drowned it in a puddle.

Rachel Borch, of Hope, says she was running in woods near her home June 2 when she saw the raccoon charging with its teeth bared. She says she knew the animal was going to bite her, so she held out her hands so it would bite her there.

The 21-year-old says she then noticed a puddle in a nearby swampy area. She ran over with the rabid animal still biting down on her thumb and held its head underwater until it drowned.

Hope Animal Control Officer Heidi Blood praised Borch's composure, and says she is in the hospital for rabies exposure treatment.
Source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com//news/nati ... aine-woman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Attacked while running, Maine woman drowns rabid raccoon

Post by zacjust32 »

There's no way that's true, it has to be a gag
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Well, a friend's family used to run coonhounds and hunt game -- bears, cougars, raccoons. They always ran at least three dogs when after a raccoon because a big boar will get a dog in the creek, wrap its 50 lb self around the dog's head to weigh it down, and drown the dog.

Karma.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've seen even stranger things from animals.. I doubt it's a gag. What you don't do is stick out your hand.. You grab sticks or rocks and pelt it until it backs off.

My mom's (illegal) ferret bit me one morning as I slept. It was very lucky I didn't slam it against the wall behind me.

Had a skunk come up to the tent where a friend and I stayed while hunting in Southern Utah. It came up to the netting and stared at us for a good 5 minutes. Randy: should I shoot it? Russ: NOO!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote:I've seen even stranger things from animals.. I doubt it's a gag. What you don't do is stick out your hand.. You grab sticks or rocks and pelt it until it backs off.

My mom's (illegal) ferret bit me one morning as I slept. It was very lucky I didn't slam it against the wall behind me.

Had a skunk come up to the tent where a friend and I stayed while hunting in Southern Utah. It came up to the netting and stared at us for a good 5 minutes. Randy: should I shoot it? Russ: NOO!
Good call Russ.