Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza

Post by oldranger »

Finding that the Steens Mountain Loop road was open and remembering the wildflower show we experienced a few years back, Kathy and I headed for the Steens on Sunday. Just wandering thru the Fish Lake CG Sunday afternoon alerted us to expect that we would not be disappointed. Below are a few samples of the many flowers we observed, some familiar and others not. Remember I am neither a flower expert nor an expert photographer so give me a break. Also on the day most of the pics were taken it was quite windy, so depth of field was quite limited. Anyhow you should get the idea and if you are into flowers mid july in the Steens is a great time to visit. One caveat though is that where you can camp, primarily Fish Lake and Jackman Campgrounds also are home to a bazillion mosquitoes at this time of the year. Best sites are the upper ones in the Fish Lake Campground where it is a bit dryer and a little breezier.

I'd appreciate identification of any of flowers with ???? in the titles.
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0005_2.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0058_2.jpg
DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0079.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
More to come!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza

Post by rlown »

Very nice. Pods seem to be a brain tease these days. Hopefully Tom chines in.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza part 2

Post by oldranger »

DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0132.jpg
DSC_0138_2.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0154.jpg
DSC_0157.jpg
DSC_0160.jpg
DSC_0166.jpg

All of the Previous pics were from july 10.

a few more from this morning in next installment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza part 3

Post by oldranger »

This am I realized I missed some flowers that were common in the campground.
DSC_0181.jpg
DSC_0183.jpg
DSC_0191.jpg
DSC_0184.jpg
DSC_0187.jpg
Thats all for now!
Mike

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

DSC_0160 looks like pennyroyal or some other kind of mint.
-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pretty wildflowers OR, which I am a big fan of, but the canyon shots intrigue me even more, Big Indian Canyon, Kiger Gorge, and especially that area around Wildhorse Lake which looks like it should be somewhere in the Rockies.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Smelled rather nice out there huh? Good to take your wife out to such places at peak greenery.

All those Great Basin species are similar or the same as one's down here along the Eastern Sierra Nevada sagebrush elevation slopes. The following is a good guide keyed by color:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Basin-Wild ... ref=sr_1_1

For the Eastern Sierra Nevada I have his similar guide:

https://www.amazon.com/Wildflowers-East ... ref=sr_1_2

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav, Yes the gorges/canyons are neat. Few years ago hiked down to Wildhorse Lake. The flowers down there were outstanding and fishing ok. The Kiger gorge has always interested me but the new cooperative management plan effectively closed most of the gorge off to the public. I need to make friends with the rancher that owns most of the gorge.

Dave, thanks for the heads up on the books. Sure to be ordering one soon.
Last edited by oldranger on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The Kiger gorge has always interested me but the new cooperative management plan effectively closed most of the gorge off to the public.
Well that sucks, how long has that plan been in effect?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Several years. When the plan shut off the upper end to grazing the landowners shut down public access to their land. So if you want to get to the upper end you can work your way down to the headwall but you can't go far until you hit private land. Many of the new wildernesses in Oregon have the effect of shutting off public access to public lands or result in having to pay to cross private land to access the wilderness.
Mike