Deleted

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Deleted

Post by rhyang »

Deleted
Last edited by rhyang on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Re: Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness: July 14-16th, 2017

Post by rhyang »

Deleted
Last edited by rhyang on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. You get all over the state to hiking and fishing areas less frequented! I've been to the Yolla Bolly area to look at the geology and always wondered about the fishing. There is a retired USGS geologist who did his PhD thesis up in that area in the 1960s and he said he subsisted on trout as his main course the entire time (fishing the streams I believe) he was doing field work (weeks on end for multiple summers). He had a really interesting observation about the trout populations in the streams during the time he fished there. He said early on the streams he fished had a lot of the brookies, which of course had been introduced. There was apparently a really big winter one of those years and afterwards he did not encounter another brookie in those streams and the same streams then repopulated with native rainbows that moved up the stream. It sounded a bit like "nature's native trout program". Anyhow I've never fished up there myself but have always been curious about it, especially those few lakes, so your report is very interesting indeed.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Wow, that is wild. I get the impression the stream fishing is better at lower elevations where there is more flow, but I think I'd go in early season. That said, most of the Middle Eel drainage is closed to fishing to protect steelhead. There are some exceptions, for which I had to look carefully in the DFG regulations. The Thomes Creek drainage is apparently in an entirely different region than the Middle Eel, and so regular trout season applies. I have a feeling the lack of well-maintained trails and long unpaved approach roads keep the hordes away. Fine with me :)