Yellowstone's Grizzlies Removed From TSL

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yellowstone's Grizzlies Removed From TSL

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Yellowstone's Grizzlies Removed From TSL

Post by rlown »

Can't hunt in the park.. Not seeing the problem.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

This applies to bears in the Yellowstone region, not just the national park. Bears outside the park itself are now subject to management by local state fish and game departments.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not like it's open season on Grizzlies. There are procedures that take years to set up before anyone can hunt them. Still, the only people who can shoot a grizzly legally is IN the national park (problem bears.)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I disagree that the Federal Fish and WIldlife is the only agencey that can manage the Grizzly. The Wyoming, Montana and Idaho G&F departments have staffs of highly trained wildlife biologists. They have managed hunting for years. The state G&F know how to manage in a multiple-use environment whereas the Federal Fish and Wildlife is more of a single goal management. This is simlar to the different objectives of FS vs NP. When a top predator like the Grizzly gets up in numbers to be only marginally endangered, managed hunting, in my opinion, is a good thing. In an area with high public use of the wilderness, bears need to view humans as thier top predator. You may romanticize about the Grizzly, but we cannot turn back the clock on tha fact that this is not the far remote reaches of Alaska, but the lower 48 with plenty of multiple uses. The best way to help the Grizzly is to manage them so that people actually want them there. That is not going to happen if they become habituated to humans, attack hikers or raise havoc with local livestock.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By the way, I lived in Wyoming for 25 years, hunted, and my ex-husband was a game warden, good friends wildlife biologists, ranchers and hunting guids, so I have first hand experience with this issue and a different perspective than an urban environmentalist. That is not to say that I am not an environmentalist, just of a different shade of gray.