TR: Backcountry fishing in Southeast Alaska

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Backcountry fishing in Southeast Alaska

Post by giantbrookie »

Holy smokes, that is certainly a fishing experience that one dreams about! You mention 2-footers but at least one of those looks bigger than that.

This reminds me of story told to me back in my student days: Two college aged guys were invited by their uncle to go salmon fishing in Alaska with lightweight spinning gear. As their uncle took them to a sporting goods store to buy their gear they looked over the spinning reel selection and picked their choice, apparently pretty expensive top-end reels. The uncle advised them against that choice saying that two or three cheaper reels would be better because they would certainly burn out the drag on at least one reel apiece. Apparently the uncle was correct, according to the after-trip accounts. I guess the uncle had a big freezer and he'd bring or ship a huge amount of salmon home to put in the freezer.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I was in Costco last night. A lady was asking the meat guy if they were going to get in some wild sockeye for the weekend. He said no they were not. I just smiled and thought of the crimson meat I had in my freezer a month old... :unibrow:
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Post by ofuros »

Enticing...solitude & gin clear backcountry fishing. Very nice.
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;