What I did in Pinnacles NP 10/27-28

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
ndpanda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What I did in Pinnacles NP 10/27-28

Post by ndpanda »

I’ve overnighted in the Pinnacles backcountry several times. It was actually suggested to me by the son of one of the acting superintendents back in the National Monument days. He pointed out that there were good (dry) campsites just outside the park boundary on the east side of the South Wilderness trail, as well as a great site with a killer view just over the west side boundary about halfway down the Chalone Peak trail. Spring wildflowers there can be spectacular. I’ve heard that stealth camping inside the park is somewhat common up in the north boundary country—wherever you camp, fires and smoking are a definite no at any time of year.

And if someone tries to tell you that backpacking is prohibited in the park, suggest they look up the Superintendent’s Compendium of rules and regs online. Backpacking isn’t even mentioned. As long as you don’t make camp in the park proper you will not run afoul of the NPS.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What I did in Pinnacles NP 10/27-28

Post by dave54 »

I am surprised you were told to camp just outside the boundaries, as that is all private lands.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=