Trip report - La Luz Trail in NM during Balloon Fiesta

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip report - La Luz Trail in NM during Balloon Fiesta

Post by jartelt »

A few weeks ago some friends and I went to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the International Balloon Fiesta. During the fiesta hundreds of hot air balloons ascend over Albuquerque and it is quite a site. One morning when were not attending the Fiesta, we decided to hike the La Luz Trail and check out the balloons from above. La Luz is one of the more well-known trails in New Mexico. It starts from the base of the Sandia Mountains just outside Albuquerque and climbs 8 miles and 3,800 feet up to the top of the Sandia Mountains (at 10,300 feet). From the top, you can either hike back down or ride the Sandia Peak Tramway back down the mountain ($15 per person one way). We chose to take the tram to save some energy and time.

The hike is pretty strenuous due to the altitude and the climb so be prepared with lots of water. However, the views are great and you hike through different types of foliage as you go up in elevation. Doing the hike during the Balloon Fiesta was really neat because we could see lots of balloon in the distance! Here is a more detailed trip report I wrote that has more pictures, maps, and descriptions: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com ... luz-trail/

View of Albuquerque from atop the Sandia Mountains

Lots of balloons rise up from the city

The trail meanders between some large cliffs

The aspen trees were bright yellow

The view from the observation deck where the tram lets off
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip report - La Luz Trail in NM during Balloon Fiesta

Post by maverick »

Thanks for sharing your TR and pictures. Enjoyed the cactus and turning aspen shots. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org