Marin Headlands fishing to end 2017; Happy New Year

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Marin Headlands fishing to end 2017; Happy New Year

Post by giantbrookie »

Best wishes for 2018.

My son Lee and I closed out 2017 at Marin Headlands with a short hike and some fishing. This included catching the sunset over the Pacific before hiking back up to the car.

This is the first time I was fishing on New Year's eve and it marked the close of what amounts to our rookie season in the surf. After trading off good days, this time both of us had a pretty good day: Lee 4 striped surf perch of 10-13" and me 2 striped surf perch of 10, 12", 1 black surf perch of 10", 1 (undersized) kelp greenling of 10", 1 grass rockfish of 10" and 1 rock crab of 4.5". I fished off of a marvelous pillow basalt outcrop I've long wished to but I hadn't dared to mount it since a 15' freefall off of a higher ledge during geologic field camp in 1980. At low surf getting onto the wavecut platform is not too bad although footing is treacherous with kelp on the rocks. Most of our fish were caught in one hot streak where we were pulling out fish in quick succession. It was good entertainment for the folks in the area.

Best wishes to all in 2018!
0745fishinoffthepillows.jpg
5121stringer.jpg
5123sunseton2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Marin Headlands fishing to end 2017; Happy New Year

Post by TahoeJeff »

Way to close out the year!
That is a nice stringer.....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Marin Headlands fishing to end 2017; Happy New Year

Post by rhyang »

Nice end to 2017 !

I'm fairly careful around those kind of features these days, sneaker waves and all that.