Deleted

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Deleted

Post by rhyang »

Deleted
Last edited by rhyang on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Deleted

Post by rhyang »

Deleted
Last edited by rhyang on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Henry Coe State Park: April 20-23, 2018

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You made some good time hiking- that is a good distance for 3 days plus the time you spent fishing. I have never caught or cleaned a bass. Is the cleaning much different from trout? When my jury duty standby is done and unless I get stuck on an actual trial, I may go out this next week. Forecast is for reasonable temperatures. I gleaned a lot of good information from your trip report. Thanks a lot!

Although I like Henry Coe park, the cost of the long drive, and the parking PLUS nightly camping fees make it quite an expensive trip for me if I go solo. I usually go in Feb or March when there are few other places to do a long backpack. Right now, if I just wait a week or two I could instead go to Yosemite. Henry Coe may have to wait until next winter.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you for this nice thorough report and all the pictures. Have not been there for quite a while, usual went in the Spring, if we had heavy snow years. Really enjoyed the Orestimba Wilderness, which you surely have visited on your many visits there. Some of my favorites where Robison Creek to Pinto Creek, with the waterfall & pools at the junction of the two creeks, the whole Rooster Comb area, Robison Mountain & Mount Stakes, and some of the old mine shafts. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have never caught or cleaned a bass. Is the cleaning much different from trout?
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uwER2G6ycbE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Damn, you caught a lot of fish!!!!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

I've never eaten the fish in the park, too much work :) But as noted above, they are not stocked, so the park recommends barbless hooks and catch & release fishing.

I've actually not spent much time in the Orestimba Wilderness proper. About 15 years ago I took a six day trip from HH to visit some of those areas. It is a bit less of a haul when Dowdy is open. Orestimba Creek dries up in the summer, so water availability is an issue away from the lakes and ponds, which have better fishing anyway.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a 5-day trip in 2006 from Park Headquarters, to climb Mt. Stakes. I really liked Robinson Creek too. Unfortunately it burned in a huge fire a few years later. Actually a lot of the park has burned at one point or another. Google Earth is a good resource to check out your route to see how the areas affected by burn are currently doing.

One thing I love about Henry Coe, is the all the moss hanging off the oak trees- very photogenic. March and early April are my favorite times to go; water usually still good and wildflowers blooming.

Perhaps I should write up that old trip. I joined High Sierra Topix later that year, so I do not think I wrote a trip report at the time.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

rhyang wrote:catch & release fishing
So, none of this:

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9UfVLVkzfAc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I've never been there, but have always wanted to go. Someday........