Need info: late June conditions, Wasatch Mtns, UT

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Need info: late June conditions, Wasatch Mtns, UT

Post by wildhiker »

Anybody have experience hiking in the higher parts of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah in late June? I'm looking for information whether trails will be clear of snow, whether wildflowers will be blooming yet, and whether nasty mosquitos will be everywhere. I've never hiked in those mountains. My son has moved to Salt Lake City and I was thinking of taking a trip to visit him, combined with some hiking in the mountains.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Need info: late June conditions, Wasatch Mtns, UT

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have not hiked there, but the range is sedimentary-metamorphic red to dark rock so should melt fairly fast. "google" for trip reports and see the dates. The northern Rockies are having a higher than average snow year, and the southern Rockies low snow. The Wasatch are more southern Rockies so I would suspect less snow. This web site may be helpful.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.ht ... al_Rockies
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Here’s a website with some info. You might be able to contact him and get some more information. http://www.wasatchwill.net/search/label/trip
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thank you Wandering Daisy and Robow8 for the links!
-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Phil, did you check out robow8's "Wasatch Will" site? I did, and I then Google Earthed some of the areas. He included a Utah range we have never been to- the "High Uintas," and one place there really looks great, that is Allsop Lake with Yard Peak above it.

Then I got back to the Wasatch Range, and there the Lake Blanche area looked great. Sorry I can't send links to you, but if you search google earth for "Lake Blanche, Utah" you will find it, and a few great photos of the dark, rocky pinnacle hanging over that lake. Best of Luck Wildhiker! Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry Wildhiker - I assumed (in error) that you were interested in the Uintas. The dark rock, metamorphic comment refers to the Unintas. The links to the snow information still applies. There are quite a few ski areas in the Wasatch - I think they all have websites. Perhaps you can get an idea of snow if you look at those.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I hiked there in 2016. I went up the Silver Lake trail to Silver Glance and then up to the ridgeline between White and Red Baldy (~10,500 ft elevation). Here's a view of Mt Timp from Silver Glance on July 3, 2016.

ImageSunrise at Silver Glance by Maia Averett, on Flickr

More details and photos here.

According to this site, the snowpack in that area is 50% of normal, so should be fine in late June, but yeah asking a local would be better!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

NIce pic!!