Kokanee Madness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Kokanee Madness

Post by oldranger »

Todays 2 person catch--Hate to keep dinks but hate to waste the ones that won't survive if released. I prefer not to keep any less than 15 inches because fish that size in Wickiup are next years spawners--Been catching 4 age classes this year--most years we only catch 2 age classes. Big one is new personal best at 21 1/2 inches.
P1030644.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kokanee Madness

Post by Vaca Russ »

WOW! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All of those Kokes are bigger than my PB. Never caught a Koke. I heard they are some of the best tasting fish around.

How do they taste?

Thanks for sharing!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes I'm envious, both for the sport and the eating. Wow. For me, still no freshwater casts in 2018. This is projected to change next weekend though when there will be some casts thrown at some cutties and goldens.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Vaca Russ wrote:WOW! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All of those Kokes are bigger than my PB. Never caught a Koke. I heard they are some of the best tasting fish around.

How do they taste?

Thanks for sharing!

-Russ
let's put it this way when fishing for Kokanee, any other fish caught, including rainbows and brookies are thrown back unless fatally hooked.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Wow, nice job Mike.
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fish4gold »

WOW, those are huge Kokes!!!!! I suppose Walowa won't repeat past performances any time soon. Those were the biggest I ever saw (Photos of-didnt get to go). These are second best. Congrats on the PB! A beautiful thick fish!!!!